|Displacement||3,204 long tons (LT)|
|Length||Overall (LOA): 238 ft.
Waterline (LWL): 230 ft.
|Speed||10 kts. (sustained)|
||4176 kW (total)|
|Towing||10,000 lbs. at 6 kts.
25,000 lbs. at 4 kts.
|Working deck area
||Aft of deckhouse: 1,873 sq. ft.
Total stern: 2,557 sq. ft.
Starboard side: 80 sq. ft.
|Laboratory area||Main lab: 1,023 sq. ft.
Wet lab: 398 sq. ft.
Computer lab: 311 sq. ft.
Staging bay: 303 sq. ft.
* R/V Neil Armstrong with Covid regulations has only 20 science party berths due to the need for one cabin to be left empty in the event it needs to be used for isolation.
- Propulsion: (x2) Siemens AC Electric Motors, 876 kW ea. (1175 hp ea.), 1752 kW total (2350 hp total)
- Bow Thruster (x1) White-Gill, 686 kW (920 hp)
- Stern Thruster: (x1) Schottel, 620 kW (831 hp)
- Main Generators: (x4) Cummings Diesels, 1044 kW ea. (1400 hp ea.), 4176 kW total (5600 hp total)
- Emergency Generator: (x1) MTU Diesel, 210 kW (282 hp)
Call Sign: WARL
Iridium Phone: 881-622-469-724
Fleet Broad Band Telephone: 870 773 929 929
INMARSAT C: 436903967
IMO Number: 9688946
- Kongsberg EM122 Multibeam
- Knudsen 3260 Sub Bottom Profiler
- Kongsberg EM710 Multibeam
- Kongsberg Sonar Synchronization System
- Sonardyne USBL
- Simrad EK80 Mid-Water Echo Sounder
- Massa TR109 3.5 kHz transducer Array
- 12 kHz transducer Array
- 38 kHz RDI Ocean Surveyor ADCP
- 150 kHz RDI Ocean Surveyor ADCP
- 300 kHz RDI Workhorse Mariner ADCP
Water Sampling and Sensing
- SeaBird TSG
- SeaBird CTD Rosette
Navigation & Communication
- POS/MV Precision GPS
- Satellite Communication System
- Acoustic Monitoring System
- Science Seawater Distribution System
- RADAR Wave Height Measurement System
The working decks of the R/V Neil Armstrong offer convenient placement for up to Three (3) standard 20' lab vans as well as convenient access to enclosed hangar and lab space. There is also room for an additional 20' storage van. The main deck offers a total of 2,557 square feet of external space for operations. A hydrographic/CTD crane and the ship's crane compliment the main, 30,000 lbs. stern A-Frame.
Hydrographic Winches Include two (2) Markey CAST-6-125 units rated to 24,000 lbs. each equipped with lebus shells sized for .322 EM cable and 3/8" wire rope, respectively. A third Markey DETW-9-11 Traction Winch rated to a minimum of 25,000 lbs. will be capable of 12,000 meters of 9/16" wire, 10,000 meters of .680 EM cable or .681 fiber optic.
General Arrangment Drawings ARMSTRONG
Equipment List and Drawings (1 of 2) ARMSTRONG
Equipment List & Drawings (2 of 2) ARMSTRONG
Nov 14, 2013 Presentation
WHOI presentation Nov 14, 2013 showing lab layouts and deck plans.