Skip to content

Vessel Chartering

**Please note - WHOI Risk & Insurance Policy - may be helpful to the vessel owners insurance company to prepare the Certificate of Insurance, accordingly.

To protect your health and safety,  WHOI has defined minimum standards for vessels used in research and education.  Some of these standards issue from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.  Others have been established by the University-National Oceanographic Laboratory System (UNOLS), of which WHOI is a member.

Compliance with these standards is required regardless of the organization that operates the vessel, how the vessel is paid for, or where in the world you are.  If you board a vessel as part of your work, the vessel must meet our minimum standards.  These standards were developed by maritime professionals and risk managers in order to protect you, your research, and our institution.

If you are using a UNOLS vessel -- you're good to go.  The ship operating institution is responsible for ensuring compliance with UNOLS standards that meet all WHOI requirements.  There's nothing more for you to do except focus on your science.

If you will use any other vessel*, then the vessel must be demonstrated to meets our standards.  This is your responsibility, and the requirements are defined on the documents attached to the right.

You are required at a minimum to have the attached Charter Checklist completed by the vessel operator and obtain a certificate of insurance. Both of these documents will need to be sent to the Marine Operations Department at for review and approval.

*if you are using a "UNOLS-like" vessel than a vessel inspection checklist is not required, but still preferred. Any questions on this.. contact