Visitors to the Ocean Science Discovery Center will learn about the Institution's ocean science research and the vessels and tools developed by WHOI engineers and scientists for use in that research.
- Learn about the Institution's ocean science research and the vessels and tools developed by WHOI engineers and scientists for use in that research
- Explore our interactive exhibit on the discovery and exploration of the Titanic
- Step inside a full-size model of the inner sphere of Alvin and learn about the pressure at the sea floor
- Learn about whale and dolphin research and listen to actual recordings of marine mammals
- Explore life at hydrothermal vents and other life in the oceans
- Learn about toxic algae such as red tide
- See a sediment core from the ocean floor and learn how it can help us understand climate change
- School Group Visits
Groups visiting the WHOI Ocean Science Discovery Center can enhance their visit with a presentation by a WHOI docent. Group presentations orient visitors to what they will see and learn about in the Center and provide an overview of the work conducted at WHOI, from marine biology to ocean engineering. Presentations run approximately 20 minutes and are highly recommended for visiting groups. It is highly recommended that reservations for group visits are made as far in advance as possible, as space is limited.To begin planning your group visit to Woods Hole, contact:
WHOI Ocean Science Discovery Center
15 School Street
Woods Hole, MA 02543
(508) 289-2663 or email email@example.com
- Know Your Ocean science chats
During July and August, the Discovery Center and Information Office sponsor a series of public talks by WHOI scientists and engineers. Designed for a lay audience, this series is a great opportunity to learn more about WHOI science. Everyone is welcome to attend. All talks are held in the Discovery Center Auditorium. For more information or if you are interested in giving a talk, contact Kathy Patterson, (508) 289-2700.
» Learn more about the “Know Your Ocean” Science Chats
- Workshops for Educators
In partnership with Woods Hole Sea Grant, teacher professional development workshops are hosted twice each year at the Ocean Science Discovery Center. Teachers from across the region gain first-hand access to scientists at workshops.Contact: Grace Simpkins, (508) 289-3639 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Splash Lab –Wednesday & Thursday’s in July and August from 1 - 3 p.m.
Hands-on activities for all ages. No reservations necessary, but come ready to have fun and to learn about the ocean that sustains us all.
The WHOI Gift Shop carries a large assortment of quality merchandise including hats, shirts, sweatshirts, books, educational toys and jewelry. All proceeds from sales of merchandise help support WHOI's research, education, and outreach activities. Stop by the Gift Shop or visit us online.
Location, Hours & Directions
15 School Street, MS#45
Woods Hole, Ma 02543
January - Mid-April
Closed - Contact email@example.com
Mid-April - Memorial Day
Monday - Friday, 10 am - 4:30 pm
Memorial Day weekend through October
Monday - Friday, 10 am - 4:30 pm
Saturday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
November & December
Tuesday - Friday, 10 am - 4:30 pm
Please note: The Discovery Center & Gift Shop is closed Easter, July 4, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Street parking in the village of Woods Hole is very limited and metered. We strongly encourage summer visitors to park at the shopping malls and free municipal lots in Falmouth and ride the WHOOSH trolley to the village of Woods Hole. The trolley is operated by the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority (800-352-7155) and charges minimal fees.