Call for Nominations
Call for Nominations: 2017 Ketchum Award
The Coastal Ocean Institute at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) is soliciting nominations for the B.H. Ketchum Award. The award was established in 1982 to honor internationally recognized scientists who demonstrate an innovative approach to coastal research, leadership in the scientific community, and who provide a link between coastal research and societal issues. The award consists of a bronze medal and $5,000 and will be given to scientists in recognition of past achievements and potential future accomplishments.
Specific criteria for selection include:
- Innovative coastal/nearshore research (see example topic areas below)
- Leadership in the scientific community
- Strong interdisciplinary interactions
- Inspiration to students and junior scientists
- Effective translation of research results into policy
- Addressing societal and environmental issues in coastal ocean science
Nominations should include a minimum one-page justification or rationale in support of the candidate as well as a copy of their full CV if readily available. Please also include up to three names and e-mail addresses of those willing to provide an additional supporting letter, which may be requested for nominees who have been short-listed by the selection committee.
Topic areas might include (but are not restricted to):
- dynamics of continental shelves, estuaries, rivers and deltas
- transport and exchange between salt- and fresh-water systems - groundwater, surface water, and sea water
- coupling of physical and biological processes
- assessing human activity on the coastal zone
- processes affecting shoreline change, including waves, tides, currents, weather patterns, morphodynamics, and sediment transport
- policy studies related to the above topics
Nomination packages should be sent via e-mail to Coastal Ocean Institute Director Matt Charette (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 18, 2016. The award winner will be notified early next year and invited to WHOI for an award ceremony and public presentation to be held in Spring 2017.