Terms of Reference
We propose that SCOR establish a working group called “Radioactivity in the Ocean, 5 decades later (RiO5)” with the following terms of reference:
- Combine and build upon existing global and individual databases of natural and artificial radionuclide distributions to make an user friendly and easily accessible on line product which will be useful to both the scientific community and the public;
- Summarize and publish review papers in peer review journals on these global radionuclide datasets and provide examples of how these can help improve our understanding of ocean processes and contaminant fate and transport;
- Identify gaps in scientific knowledge in relation to radioactivity in the marine environment and publish the results in a perspectives paper in Eos or elsewhere;
- Bring together academic, nuclear industry and national laboratory expertise for an international symposium on radionuclides in the ocean;
- Provide a warehouse of education materials to assist in the education and training of the next generation of marine radiochemists and radioecologists;
- Develop web-based tools to enhance public understanding of radioactivity, in particular in the ocean.
These activities would be achieved by convening WG meetings (1 per year for 3 years), exchanges among WG Members, building web-based informational resources, writing scientific manuscripts, and finding resources and partners for hosting a large international symposium.
Last updated: December 8, 2014