Why Your Investment in WHOI Matters
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is built on three solid foundations: its people, its unparalleled access to the sea and its generation of ideas. They are the building blocks of exploration and discovery.
Why are these building blocks of WHOI so important? Because 71 percent of our planet is covered in ocean, and just a fraction of it has been explored. Our world and our countless daily interactions in it and with it raise far more questions than answers.
- Will we find new, perhaps life-saving drugs while studying what is beneath the sea?
- How will climate change impact land masses, deep-sea corals and polar animals?
- How can we preserve marine mammals while maintaining strong commercial fisheries?
- Can we mitigate the damage to coastal waters caused by farming, septic tanks and other waste?
- What is the long-term fate of pollutants, such as oil, radioactive waste and plastics, in our ocean?
These are among the thousands of important questions asked by WHOI scientists every day. We cannot answer them without you.
Private philanthropy from people like you is the venture capital of science. With private gifts, we can jump-start new projects, attract and retain courageous and inventive minds, nurture the next generation of marine scientists, and provide state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and the most modern at-sea technologies to advance science. In short, we can continue to answer the questions we’ve been asking at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution since 1930.