Please note: You are viewing the unstyled version of this website. Either your browser does not support CSS (cascading style sheets) or it has been disabled. Skip navigation.

Getting Divorced

  Email    Print  PDF  Change text to small (default) Change text to medium Change text to large

Related Files

» 2012 Benefits Enrollment/Change Form

Should you get divorced, you should notify Human Resources immediately to report the change in status and request any appropriate forms. If you want to make changes to your benefits as a result of the divorce, complete and return the Benefits Program Enrollment/Change Form to Human Resources within 31 days of the divorce, which is considered a qualified change in status. You may be required to provide a divorce decree.

Your ex-spouse (and dependent children, if applicable) may continue to be covered under your family membership if the divorce order specifically calls for this and if neither you nor your former spouse remarries.

If you or your ex-spouse remarries, your ex-spouse’s eligibility for WHOI coverage ends and he/she will be eligible to continue coverage on an individual basis under COBRA due to loss of coverage.  However, you must notify Human Resources within 31 days of the loss of coverage in order for COBRA continuation to be offered.

Contact the Human Resources Office at x2253 for options and forms.

It is important to keep a record of your beneficiary designations and to update them whenever your circumstances change. Keep a copy of all beneficiary designations and review them periodically. You may change your beneficiary designations at any time.

Last updated: October 3, 2014

whoi logo

Copyright ©2008 Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, All Rights Reserved, Privacy Policy.
Problems or questions about the site, please contact
Contact Us | Site Map | External | Internal
WHOI Facebook WHOI You TubeWHOI TwitterRead our BlogsWHOI RSS feeds