- All Principal Investigators and Co-Principal Investigators must have an official appointment at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
- All Resident Scientific Staff, Senior Technical Staff, Directors of administrative units, and the President/Director and Vice Presidents of the Institution may be Principal Investigators.
- A Postdoctoral Scholar, Postdoctoral Investigator, Visiting Investigator, Adjunct Scientist or Oceanographer, or Joint Program Student may not be a Sole Principal Investigator, but may be the Primary (A1) PI. The WHOI Co-PI on these proposals must be willing to accept default responsibility for any reporting or other requirements of the award, whether or not they have salary support on the award.
- Institution Visiting Scholars and Guest Investigators may not be the Primary or Sole Principal Investigator. They may be a Co-Principal Investigator with a WHOI Primary Principal Investigator, provided that the WHOI PI will be responsible for the completion of the proposed work and will receive salary support for his/her efforts.
- Any other person with an official appointment (e.g., including Scientist Emeritus, Oceanographer Emeritus) must have permission from his/her Department Chair or Center Director to be a Principal Investigator. The Chair's decision will be based on the person's ability to complete the proposed research or provide the proposed services without supervision or mentoring.
- Exceptions to the above may be made when there are specific funding agency requirements. Exceptions must be approved by the Department Chair or Director of Research.
ApprovalSigned by: Susan K. Avery, President and Director
Date: November 26, 2014