Well-wishers gathered on the WHOI dock in 1952 to bid farewell to the 179-foot research vessel Albatross III, which made 128 science cruises in the North Atlantic. After serving as a war patrol vessel in the early 1940s, the vessel came to Woods Hole for service to science. Most of the voyages were were part of fisheries investigations, but many cruises included seafloor photography, drift bottle exercises, and current measurements. The ship was decommissioned 1959 and sold to a Hyannis-based fisherman.
(Photo courtesy of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Archives)