Ocean science is a 24/7 type of enterprise, and WHOI’s facilities in Woods Hole are a year-round hub of activity of Cape Cod. However, not all our good work takes place in the laboratories or aboard our ships. There are many opportunities for friends of WHOI to engage in the life world-class oceanography.
To experience life in the WHOI community, you can:
- Become a member. Members of our Associates program receive an insider’s look at our work, play an active role in supporting innovation in ocean science, attend special events, and many other benefits.
- Take a tour. During the summer months, knowledgeable WHOI volunteers guide visitors on free walking tours through the WHOI dock area and other restricted village facilities.
- Join an expedition. Members are invited to travel to exotic destinations and explore the world’s natural wonders with a WHOI scientist as their guide.
- Attend an event. Throughout the year, WHOI hosts a variety of events for members and for the general public.
- Run for TeamWHOI. WHOI and the Falmouth Road Race share a common characteristic—they both are respected Falmouth institutions. TeamWHOI brings the two together each summer as volunteer runners raise funds for ocean science.
- Volunteer. Volunteers from throughout the community lead tours, help in WHOIs Exhibit Center, and find meaningful opportunities in other areas.