Your documentation

Print version
Text Size: Change text to small (default) Change text to medium Change text to large

What information do I need to provide?

Each applicant for a TWIC must provide biographic information, identity documents, fingerprints, sit for a digital photograph, and pay the established TWIC fee.

Applicants must provide the appropriate documents in order to verify their identity. They must provide one document from list A, or two from list B, one of which must be a government-issued photo ID:

List A:

  • Unexpired US passport
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident card or Unexpired Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph
  • Unexpired foreign passport with one of the following: I-551 Stamp; Attached INS Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization; Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (I-766); Unexpired Employment Authorization Card (INS-688B); OR with one of the following Unexpired Visas: E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B, H-1B1, L-1, O-1, TN, M-1, C-1/D
  • Free and Secure Trade (FAST) Card
  • Merchant Mariner Document (MMD)

List B (need two and one must be a government-issued photo ID):

  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, 561)
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or 570)
  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States
  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Voter's registration card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • U.S. Military ID or U.S. Retired Military ID
  • U.S. Military Dependent's Card
  • Expired U.S. passport
  • Native American Tribal Document
  • U.S. Social Security card
  • U.S. Citizen Card I-197
  • U.S. Military Discharge Papers DD-214
  • U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card
  • Standards of Training Certification and Watch Keeping (STCW Certification)
  • Certificate of Registry (COR)
  • Merchant Mariner's License (MML)
  • Civil marriage certificate

Personal privacy

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will send pertinent parts of the enrollment record to the FBI, as well as within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), so that appropriate terrorist threat, criminal history, and immigration checks can be performed. TSA will review the results of the checks to determine if the person poses a security threat, and will notify the applicant of the results. When TSA determines that an applicant qualifies to receive a TWIC, a credential will be produced and sent to the enrollment center at which the applicant applied.


WHOI logo

Last updated January 17, 2008
© Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. All rights reserved