People Directory : Amber D. York
WHOI Mailing Address:
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
266 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1050
B.A. Boston University, 2006, Biology with specialization in marine science
M.S. Boston University, 2018, Computer Information Systems with specialization in web application development
Development of web-based data exploration and data extraction tools. Application of image processing and machine vision techniques on large datasets. Database design and management. Benthic organism identification from images and physical specimens.
Currently a data manager at the Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office (BCO DMO, http://bco-dmo.org/)
I have worked on the following projects in the past:
HabCam: Habitat Mapping Camera System, Panama Liquid Jungle Underwater Tropical Observatory (PLUTO), Polar Remote Interactive Marine Observatory (PRIMO), the Okinawa Ocean Cube Observatory (OIST), and Oshima Ocean Cube Observatory (Tokyo University).
Main Areas of Experience:
- data management
- web application development
- database design
- Benthic organism identification (mostly Northeast Continental Shelf, some inshore)
- seagoing technical support: Linux, databases, fiber-optic terminations, cable repair
- Scientific Diving experience: mostly sensor installation/maintenance
- some experience in: java, R, php
- MongoDB, postgreSQL, MySQL
- some experience in: ORACLE, SQLite, Microsoft Access
some Japanese and Spanish