Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering
Office Phone: +1 508 289 2329
Fax: +1 508 457 2194
WHOI Mailing Address:
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
266 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1050
Ph.D., National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 2004, Engineering Science and Ocean Engineering
M.S., National Taiwan University, Taiwan , 1998, Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
B.S., National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, 1996, Hydraulics and Ocean Engineering
Sound propagation physics; Computational acoustics; Acoustical oceanography; Acoustic and geoacoustic inverse problems; Marine mammal acoustics; Acoustic signal processing; Oceanographic processes in areas of the continental shelf and the shelfbreak and their effects on sound propagation
(30) Y.-T. Lin, “A higher-order tangent linear parabolic-equation solution of three-dimensional sound propagation,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Express Letter (2013).
(29) Y.-T. Lin and T.F. Duda, “Propagation of internal gravity waves with anisotropic modal properties in two-dimensional shear flows with rotation,” J. Fluid Mech. (2013).
(28) A.A. Shmelev, J.F. Lynch, Y.-T. Lin and H. Schmidt, “3D coupled mode analysis of internal-wave acoustic ducts,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. (2013).
(27) C. Emerson, J.F. Lynch, P. Abbot, Y.-T. Lin, T.F. Duda, G.G. Gawarkiewicz and C.-F. Chen, “Acoustic Propagation Uncertainty and Probabilistic Prediction of Sonar System Performance in the Southern East China Sea Continental Shelf and Shelfbreak Environments,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. (2013).
(26) Y.-T. Lin, T.F. Duda, C. Emerson, G.G. Gawarkiewicz, A.E. Newhall, B. Calder, J.F. Lynch, P. Abbot, Y.-J. Yang and S. Jan, “Experimental and numerical studies of sound propagation over a submarine canyon northeast of Taiwan,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. (2013).
(25) L.Y.S. Chiu, A. Chang, Y.-T. Lin, and C.-S. Liu, “Estimating Geo-acoustic Properties of the Surficial Sediments in the Region of North Mein-Hua Canyon with a Chirp Sonar Profiler,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. (2013).
(24) Y.-T. Lin, T.F. Duda and A.E. Newhall, “Three-dimensional sound propagation models using the parabolic-equation approximation and the split-step fourier method,” J. Comp. Acoust., vol. 21, 1250018 (2013). [24 pages] DOI:10.1142/S0218396X1250018X
(23) Y.-T. Lin, K.G. McMahon, J.F. Lynch, and W.L. Siegmann, “Horizontal ducting of sound by curved nonlinear internal gravity waves in the continental shelf areas,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 133, pp. 37-49 (2013). [13 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.4770240
(22) Y.-T. Lin, J.M. Collis and T.F. Duda, “A three-dimensional parabolic equation model of sound propagation using higher-order operator splitting and Padé approximants,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 132, pp. EL364-EL370 (2012). [7 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.4754421
(21) Y.-T. Lin and T.F. Duda, “A higher-order split-step Fourier parabolic-equation sound propagation solution scheme,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 132, pp. EL61-EL67 (2012). [7 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.4730328
(20) M.S. Ballard, Y.-T. Lin and J.F. Lynch, “Horizontal refraction of propagating sound due to seafloor scours over a range-dependent layered bottom on the New Jersey shelf,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. 2587-2598 (2012). [12 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3687446
(19) A.E. Newhall, Y.-T. Lin, J.F. Lynch, M.F. Baumgartner, and G.G. Gawarkiewicz, “Long distance passive localization of vocalizing sei whales using an acoustic normal mode approach,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. 1814-1825 (2012). [12 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3666015
(18) Y.-T. Lin, A.E. Newhall and J.F. Lynch, “Low-frequency broadband sound source localization using an adaptive normal mode back-propagation approach in a shallow-water ocean,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. 1798-1813 (2012). [16 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3672643
(17) T.F. Duda, J.M. Collis, Y.-T. Lin, A.E. Newhall, J.F. Lynch, and H.A. DeFerrari, “Horizontal coherence of low-frequency fixed-path sound in a continental shelf region with internal-wave activity,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. 1782-1797 (2012). [16 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3666003
(16) J.F. Lynch, C. Emerson, P.A. Abbot, G.G. Gawarkiewicz, A.E. Newhall, Y.-T. Lin, T.F. Duda, “On whether azimuthal isotropy and alongshelf translational invariance are present in low-frequency acoustic propagation along the New Jersey shelfbreak” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. 1762-1781 (2012). [20 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3672644
(15) J.A. Colosi, T.F. Duda, Y.-T. Lin, J.F. Lynch, A.E. Newhall, and B.D. Cornuelle, “Observations of sound-speed fluctuations on the New Jersey continental shelf in the summer of 2006,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. 1733-1748 (2012). [16 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3666014
(14) K.G. Foote, M.C. Hastings, D.R. Ketten, Y.-T. Lin, J.S. Reidenberg, and K. Rye, “Sonar-induced pressure fields in a post-mortem common dolphin,” J. Acoustc. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. 1595-1604 (2012). [10 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3675005
(13) Y.-T. Lin and J.F. Lynch, “Analytical study of the horizontal ducting of sound by an oceanic front over a slope,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 131, pp. EL1-EL7 (2011). [7 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3662030
(12) T.F. Duda, Y.-T. Lin, and D.B. Reeder, “Observationally constrained modeling of sound in curved ocean internal waves: Examination of deep ducting and surface ducting at short range,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 130, pp. 1173-1187 (2011). [15 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3605565
(11) L.Y.S. Chiu, Y.-T. Lin, C.-F. Chen, T.F. Duda, and B. Calder, “Focused sound from three-dimensional sound propagation effects over a submarine canyon,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 129, pp. EL260-EL266 (2011). [7 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3579151
(10) V.M. Kuz’kin, Y.-T. Lin, A.A. Lunkov, J.F. Lynch, and V.G. Petnikov, “Frequency shifts of the sound field interference pattern on oceanic shelf in summer conditions”, Acoustical Physics, vol. 57, pp. 387-397 (2011). [11 pages] DOI:10.1134/S1063771011030092
(9) M. Badiey, B.G. Katsnelson, Y.-T. Lin, and J.F. Lynch, “Acoustic multipath arrivals in the horizontal plane due to approaching nonlinear internal waves”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 126, pp. EL141-EL147 (2011). [7 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3553374
(8) Y.-T. Lin, A.E. Newhall, T.F. Duda, P.F.J. Lermusiaux, and P.J. Haley, “Merging multiple partial-depth data time series using objective empirical orthogonal function fitting,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., vol. 35, pp. 710-721 (2010). [12 pages] DOI:10.1109/JOE.2010.2052875
(7) J.F. Lynch, Y.-T. Lin, T.F. Duda, and A.E. Newhall, “Acoustic Ducting, Shadowing, Refraction and Dispersion by Curved Non-Linear Internal Waves in Shallow Water,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., vol. 35, pp. 12-27 (2010). [16 pages] DOI:10.1109/JOE.2009.2038512
(6) Y.-T Lin, T.F. Duda and J.F. Lynch, “Acoustic mode radiation from the termination of a truncated nonlinear internal gravity wave duct in a shallow ocean area”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 126, pp. 1752-1765 (2009). [14 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.3203268
(5) L.-W. Hsieh, C.-F. Chen, M.-C. Yuan, and Y.-T. Lin, “Azimuthal Limitation in 3D PE Approximation for Underwater Acoustic Propagation,” J. Comp. Acoust., vol.15, pp. 221-233 (2007). [13 pages] DOI:10.1142/S0218396X07003317
(4) Y.-T. Lin, C.-F. Chen and J. F. Lynch, “An Equivalent Transform Method for Evaluating the Effect of Water Column Mismatch on Geoacoustic Inversion,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., vol. 31, pp. 284-298 (2006). [15 pages] DOI:10.1109/JOE.2006.875232
(3) S. L. DeRuiter, P. L. Tyack, Y.-T. Lin, A. E. Newhall, J. F. Lynch and P. J.O. Miller, “Modeling acoustic propagation of airgun array pulses recorded on tagged sperm whales,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. vol. 120, pp. 4100-4114 (2006). [15 pages] DOI:10.1121/1.2359705
(2) Y.-T. Lin, J. F. Lynch, N. Chotiros, C.-F. Chen, A. E. Newhall, A. Turgut, S. Schock, C.-S. Chiu, L. Bartek and C.-S. Liu, “An Estimate of the Bottom Compressional Wave Speed Profile in the Northeastern South China Sea Using “Sources of Opportunity,” IEEE J. Oceanic Eng., vol. 29, pp. 1231-1248 (2004). [18 pages] DOI:10.1109/JOE.2004.834681
(1) C.-F. Chen, Y.-T. Lin, and D. Lee, “A three-dimensional azimuthal wide-angle model for the parabolic wave equation,” J. Comp. Acoust., vol. 7, pp. 269-286 (1999). [18 pages] DOI:10.1142/S0218396X99000187
Acoustical Society of America
American Geophysical Union
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society
Postdoctoral Scholar Award, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, USA, 2004
The Government Scholarship for Studying Abroad, Taiwan, 2002