Department of Physical Oceanography
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, MS#21
Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543-1535
Tel: 508-289-2504; Fax: 508-457-2181
B.S., Shandong College of Oceanography, P.R. China, 1985 (Meteorology)
Master Program in Meteorology, The Ocean University of Qingdao, P.R. China
M.S., Florida State University, 1990 (Physical Oceanography)
Ph.D., Florida State University, 1992 (Physical Oceanography)
Senior Scientist, 2011 -; Associate Scientist w/tenure, 2007-2011; Associate Scientist, April 2003-2007;Assistant Scientist, 1999-April 2003, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Assistant Research Scientist, Joint Center for Earth System Sciences/Department of Meteorology, University of Maryland, 1996-1999. Postdoctoral Research Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993-1996. Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Physical Oceanography, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL., 1987–1992. Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Meteorology, The Ocean University of Qingdao, Qingdao, P. R. China, 1985 – 1987.
June 1991: NSF Graduate Student Fellowship for the summer workshop on ``Physics of Equatorial Oceans'' at the University of Rhode Island.
February 1992: NATO Advanced Study Graduate Student Fellowship for the workshop on ``Modeling Oceanic Climate Interactions'' at the centre of Physics, Les Houches, France.
June 1992: Awarded Postdoctoral Fellowship from NOAA Climate and Global Postdoctoral Program (Declined).
August 1992: NCAR Graduate Student Fellowship for the first workshop on ``Adjoint Applications in Dynamic Meteorology'' at Pacific Grove, CA.
1991-92: Graduate Student Fellowship for the Supercomputer Computations Research Institute, Florida State University.
May 1994: NCAR Postdoctoral Fellowship for the second workshop on ``Adjoint Applications in Dynamic Meteorology'' at Visegrad, Hungary.
March 1995: NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship for the Second International Symposium on Assimilation of Observations in Meteorology and Oceanic Assimilations. Tokyo, Japan
- 2005-present, Member of the International CLIVAR Indian Ocean Panel
- 2005-present, Member of the NOAA Ocean Observing System Team of Experts
- 2005, Member of the National Oceanographic Partnership Program (NOPP) review panel
- 2001, Session chair of the AGU spring meeting
- 2001-present, member of WHOI PO recruitment committee
- 2001, WHOI PO seminar coordinator
- 2000-present, Member of the NASA Ocean Vector Wind Science Team
- 2000, Member of the National Oceanographic Partnership Program (NOPP) review panel
- 2000, Member of the NASA Physical Oceanography review panel
- 1997-1999, Member of the NASA Seasonal-to-Interannual Prediction Project Team
- 1997-present, reviewed proposals for:
NASA – Physical Oceanography
NASA – USRA Postdoctoral Fellowships
NOAA – CLIVAR Atlantic
NOAA – CLIVAR Pacific
NSF – Physical Oceanography
NSF – Arctic Natural Sciences
- 1996-present, reviewed manuscripts for:
Journal of Applied Meteorology–
Journal of Climate
Journal of Geophysical Oceanography – Oceans
Journal of Marine Research
Journal of Meteorological Society of Japan
Journal of Physical Oceanography
Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society
Deep Sea Research
Geophysical Research Letters
- 1991 – present, Member of American Geophysical Union
- 1991 – present, Member of American Meteorological Society
- Development of a 50-year analysis of gridded global air-sea heat fluxes for NOAA CLIVAR program.
- Member of Team of Experts to provide pilot efforts to help develop the NOAA Climate observation program.
- Member of NASA Ocean Vector Wind Science Team to investigate and promote the value of satellite vector wind observations.
- Member of the international CLIVAR Indian Ocean Panel to help design observational network in the Indian Ocean.
- Member, CLIVAR Global synthesis and Observations Panel (GSOP)
- Member, NASA Sea Surface Temperature Science Team (SSTST)
- Member, NASA Ocean Salinity Science Team (OSST)
- Contributing author, IPCC Fifth Assessment Report on ocean evaporation
- Serving as external reviewer for a faculty promotion to the Associate rank in the School of Marine Science and Policy, University of Delaware.
WOCE cruise, Oct 1-27, 1990 on RV Meteor from Cape Verde Islands to Recife, Brazil
Stratus cruise (chief scientist Bob Weller), Oct 14-Nov 9, 2007. Aboard the NOAA research vessel Ronald H. Brown in the southeastern Pacific. Participated in buoy deployment and recovery, deployment of rawinsondes, UCTD, and Argo floats. Processed and plotted UCTD measurements.
Last updated: April 28, 2014