Annual Application Deadline: February 15
We appreciate your interest in the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution's Minority Fellowship program. The online application link for the 2013 Fellowship program is now closed. The application period for 2014 will reopen in November 2013.
Undergraduate Fellowships for Minorities are awarded to minority undergraduates who are enrolled in U.S. colleges or universities who have completed at least one year of undergraduate study and who have academic interests in physical or natural science, mathematics, engineering, or marine policy. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Minority groups included for consideration in this particular program include African American or Black; Asian American; Chicano, Mexican American, Puerto Rican or other Hispanic; Native American, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians. Minority Fellowships may be awarded for a ten- to twelve-week period in the summer or for a semester during the academic year, and students are welcome to reapply for a second Fellowship following year.
In addition to the formal application form, the following are required:
- a current CV or resume that shows educational background and work experience;
- official transcripts and/or other official documents of complete undergraduate school record to date;
- at least three letters of recommendation from professors or others familiar with an applicant's academic credentials (recommendation forms are available through the link in the 'Related Links' box to the right);
- a statement of the applicant's research interests, future education and career plans, and reasons for applying to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution; and
- a completed Course Record worksheet listing relevant undergraduate coursework by subject category, primary textbook used for each course, and the grade received for completing the course.
You may access an application and reference form by using the links to the right. Once you have submitted an on-line application, use the 'Application Status Login' link to submit any remaining application materials, or to monitor the status of your application.
Please Note: Applicants must direct their reference writers to the References page on this website. References listed on an student's application will not be automatically contacted by the application server.
» View the References page
Undergraduate Programs Coordinator
Academic Programs Office, MS #31
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
360 Woods Hole Road
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1541
Electronic transcripts can be sent to:
Questions can be directed to:
Phone: (508) 289-2219
Fax: (508) 457-2188
Completed applications must be submitted by February 15 each year. Applicants will be notified of decisions in mid March.All students who are offered a position at this REU Site have until March 15th (or later) to accept or reject the offer. Any student who is asked to accept or reject an offer prior to March 15th should contact the Division of Ocean Science's REU Program Director, Lisa Rom at elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709.
Funding for this REU site is provided by the National Science Foundation's Division of Ocean Sciences located in Arlington, VA. The NSF contact for this program is Lisa Rom, elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.