|Principal release components|
- Benthos SM-100 smart release. The SM-100 is an acoustic release combined with an underwater modem.
- Benthos 865-H load multiplier. Release capacity = 50,000 pounds.
- Bottom sensing altimiter = Benthos PSA-916 200 Khz. Sonar altimeter. The altimeter is deployed on a telescoping pole with a maximum reach of 3.5 meters from center of release dish.
- Manufacturer of these components
Teledyne Benthos Undersea Systems and Equipment
North Falmouth, MA
- Bottom contact winch and drop weight controlled by SM-100 modem. The contact weight is used to calibrate and confirm data received from the altimeter.
Top view of release module
Components are housed in a
60” diameter stainless steel elliptical dish.Modem electronics, hi-powered battery pack and retracted altimeter boom
Release module near surface during testing
The altimeter telescoping
boom is near full extension.
Release module coupled to the corehead
during the last phase of launch operations.
Last updated: May 7, 2008