Tracy John Mincer
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry
266 Woods Hole Road, MS 51 Tel: 508-289-3640
Woods Hole, MA 02543 email@example.com
Ph.D. Oceanography, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, Fall 2004
B.S. Chemistry/Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego. Spring, 1995
Assistant/Associate Scientist, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry, June 2008 – Present
Postdoctoral Associate/Lecturer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. October, 2004- March, 2008
Staff Research Associate I/II, University of California San Diego, Department of Biology, Spring 1995 - Fall 1998
Selected Honors and Recognition:
Pre-doctoral Fellowship, Living Oceans Foundation: $ 25,000/year fellowship (Fall 2001 – Spring 2004) covering stipend and expenses, 36 months of support
Faculty of 1000, Biology, “Exceptional”, “Must Read” or “Recommended” critical recognition for 4 publications, indicated below in Publications
–Interactions of microbes with plastic debris in the marine environment and its influence on larger ecosystems
–Biogeochemical cycling of volatile organic compounds (methanol) produced by bloom-forming phytoplankton
–Chemical ecology of microbes: chemical communication, allelopathic mediation of bacterial epibiosis, microbiome composition, and deterrence of grazing
- “Marine actinomycete taxon for drug and fermentation product discovery.”
Inventors: Mincer, T. J.; Jensen, P. R. & Fenical, W. H.
United States Patent number: 7,144,723
Issued: December 5, 2006
- “Salinosporamides and methods for use thereof”
Inventors: Feling, R. H., Mincer, T. J.; Jensen, P. R. & Fenical, W. H.
United States Patent number: 7,176,233
Issued: February 13, 2007
Technology Transfer for Provisional Patent Application:
Banning, E., Wuchter, C., Mincer, T. J., Coolen, M. & Drenzek, N. “Technique for microbially-enhanced shale gas production” Transfer in progress between WHOI and Schlumberger-Doll Research Center, January 2012.
Invited Professional Talks:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Microbial Systems Seminar Series, Invited Speaker: “Production of Methanol by a Wide Phylogenetic Range of Phytoplankton” May 8, 2013.
- William and Mary-Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Environmental Chemistry Seminar, Invited Speaker: “Microbial interactions with plastic debris in the marine water column” November 9, 2012.
- University of Southern California, Invited Speaker: “Determining the supply side of methylotrophy” February 24, 2011.
- University of Rhode Island, Graduate School of Oceanography, February 7, 2010. Talk Title: “Deciphering the supply side of methylotrophy”
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy, April 9, 2010. Talk Title: “Marine Natural Products”
- University of Rhode Island, Graduate School of Oceanography, Invited Speaker: “Marine microbial natural products discovery” December 16, 2009
- Invited speaker: Gordon Conference on Oceans and Human Health, June 29 - July 4, 2008, Tilton, New Hampshire. Talk Title: “Identifying Potential Threats and Benefits to Human Health from the Ocean Using Genomic Tools”
Recent Field Work:
- BLATZ II, Woods Hole, MA – Bermuda, R/V Knorr (KN207-01), April 21—May 4, 2012
- Station ALOHA, Hawaii, R/V Kilo Moana, July 13-23, 2010
- Tofino Inlet, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, R/V Clifford Barnes, June 16-25, 2009
Education Service, Supervision, and Advising:
- MIT/WHOI Marine Organic Chemistry, 4-11-13, Guest Lecturer, “Marine Toxins and Natural Products”
- MIT/WHOI 7.439: Topics in Marine Microbiology, Fall 2009, Functional Analyses of Microbial Communities: Insights into Activities, Pathways, and Interactions, Co-instructor
- MIT/WHOI Marine Organic Chemistry, 4-23-09, Guest Lecturer, “Marine Toxins and Natural Products”
- Oscar Sosa (Current MIT-WHOI Joint Program Student) dissertation committee member since fall 2012
- WHOI MC&G Joint Program Student Faculty Mentor, 2010-2011
- WHOI Summer Undergraduate Fellow Department Coordinator – 2010-2012
- Amalia Aruda (Current MIT-WHOI Joint Program Student) dissertation committee member since fall 2011
- Kathleen Munson (Current MIT-WHOI Joint Program Student) dissertation committee member since fall 2010
- Jessie Kneeland (MIT-WHOI Joint Program Student- Graduated 2011) thesis defense Chair
- JCCO General Exam Coordinator, 2010-2011
- First year JCCO Advisor, 2010
- MC&G Summer Student Fellow Representative, 2010-present
- WHOI Joint Program Student Generals Paper Reviewer for two students
- Kristen Pangallo, (MIT-WHOI Joint Program Student- Graduated 2010), dissertation committee member
- Annette Hynes (MIT-WHOI Joint Program Student- Graduated 2009) dissertation committee member
- Laura Hmelo – (MIT/WHOI Joint Program Graduate Student – Graduated 2010) dissertation committee member and collaborator
- Adam Rivers (MIT-WHOI Joint Program Student- Graduated 2009) dissertation Chair
- Misty Miller, Research Assistant II, full-time October 2009 – April 2010
- Kristen Rathjen, Research Assistant III, full-time November 2011-May2013—Presently Part-Time
- Athena Aicher, Research Assistant I, full–time March 2012-Present
- Kristen Rathjen, Research Associate II, Part-time
- Athena Aicher, Research Assistant II, Full-time
- Hilary Ranson, Research Assiatant II, January 2013-May 2013 Part-time—Full time May 2013- present
- Kristen Whalen, Research Associate III, Part-time
- Catherine Stark, Part-time lab helper, June-August 2013
- Vincent Guzzetta, WHOI Summer Student Fellow, May-August 2013.
- Athena Aicher, Guest Student, June-July 2011
- Dr. Emelia DeForce, Guest Investigator, July 2011
- Alex Flynn-Caroll, Undergraduate Guest Student, May-August 2011
- Dr. John LaFleur, M.D. – University of Massachusetts MD/PhD candidate Guest Student, September 2009-January 2011
- Tanner Miller, WHOI Winter Undergraduate Fellow, January 2010—and, WHOI Summer Undergraduate Fellow May-August, 2010
- Paige Roberts, WHOI Summer Guest Student, May–August 2010
- Emmanuel Vázquez, WHOI Summer Guest Student, January – April 2010
- Dr. Amy Apprill – WHOI Postdoctoral Scholar Fellow, September 2009-December 2011 (Dr. Apprill is now a member of the WHOI Scientific Faculty)
- Ms. Rose Kantor – WHOI Summer Undergraduate Fellow – Summer 2009
Editorial Board Member- Frontiers in Microbiology; GrantProposal Reviewer-National Science Foundation; Maryland Sea Grant; California Sea Grant • Reviewer for the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Aquatic Microbial Ecology, ISME Journal, Environmental Microbiology, EM Reports, Geomicrobiology Journal, Deep Sea Research, Limnology and Oceanography.
Scientific and Community Outreach:
- Mentor of Falmouth MA Science Fair Student project, Falmouth Academy student Brianna Feldott (this student received Honorable Mention and a Special Award in the local competition and First Place and a Special Award at the regional level)
- Mentor of Falmouth MA Science Fair Student project, Falmouth High School student Catherine Stark (this student received First Place in the local and Second Place in the regional competitions).
- Student Spaceflight Experiments Program: sponsor of project by students from Montachusett Technical High School, Montachusett MA. This project titled “Effect of Arthrobacter on polyethylene decomposition rate in microgravity” has been selected to be sent to the International Space Station, April 2012.
- Elected Town Meeting Member of Precinct 2, Falmouth MA. Three year term, May 2013-2016.
Publications (in print):
- Banning, E., Wuchter, C., Mincer, T. J., Coolen, M. & Drenzek, N. “Toward microbially-enhanced shale gas production: Initial case study results” Accepted to Fronteirs in Microbiology, August 2013.
- Zettler, E. R., Mincer, T. J., Amaral-Zettler, L., “The unnatural history of the ‘Plastisphere’: Microbes on plastic marine debris.” Accepted: Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 47: Pages 7137-7146, June 2013.
- Bayer, .T. Neave, M., Alsheikh-Hussain, A., Aranda, M., Yum, L., Mincer, T. J., Hughen, K., Apprill, A., Voolstra, C. “The microbiome of the Red Sea coral Stylophora pistillata is dominated by tissue-associated Endozoicomonas bacteria” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Volume 79: pages 4759-4762, July 2013.
- Apprill, A., Hughen, K., & Mincer, T. J. “Major similarities in the bacterial communities associated with lesioned and healthy Fungiidae corals.” Environmental Microbiology, Volume 15: pages 2063-2072, July 2013.
- Cordero, O. X., Wildschutte, H., Kirkup, B., Proehl, S., Ngo, L., Hussain, F., Le Roux, F., Mincer, T. J., & Polz, M. F. “Ecological Populations of Bacteria Act as Socially Cohesive Units of Antibiotic Production and Resistance.” Science, Volume 337, pages 1228-1231, September 2012.
- Hmelo, L. R., Van Mooy, B.A.S. & Mincer, T. J. “Characterization of bacterial epibionts on the cyanobacterium Trichodesmium”. Aquatic Microbial Ecology, Volume 67, pages 1-14, July 2012.
- Van Mooy, B. A. S., Hmelo, L. R., Sofen, L. E., Campagna, S. R., May, A. L., Dyhrman, S. T., Heithoff, A., Webb, E. A., Momper, L. & Mincer, T. J. “Quorum sensing control of phosphorus acquisition in Trichodesmium colonies.” (2012) The ISME Journal, 6, 422–429.
- Hmelo, L. R., Mincer, T. J. & Van Mooy, B.A.S. “Possible influence of bacterial quorum sensing on the hydrolysis of sinking particulate organic carbon in marine environments.” (2011) Environmental Microbiology 6, 682–688.
- Van Mooy, B. A. S., Fredricks, H. F., Pedler, B. E., Dyhrman, S. T., Karl, D. M., Koblíek, M., Lomas, M., Mincer, T. J., Moore, L. R., Moutin, T., Rappé, M. and Webb, E. A. “Phytoplankton in the oligotrophic ocean substitute phospholipids in response to phosphorus scarcity.” (2009) Nature 458, 69-72. **Must Read Faculty of 1000 rating**
- Mincer TJ, Church MJ, Taylor LT, Preston C, Karl DM, DeLong EF “Quantitative distribution of presumptive archaeal and bacterial nitrifiers in Monterey Bay and the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre.” (2007) Environmental Microbiology 9, 1162-1175.
- Frigaard, N. U., Martinez, A., Mincer, T. J. & DeLong, E. F. “Proteorhodopsin lateral gene transfer between marine planktonic Bacteria and Archaea” (2006) Nature 439, 847-50. **Exceptional Faculty of 1000 rating**
- Hallam, S. J., Mincer, T. J., Schleper, C., Preston, C. M., Roberts, K., Richardson, P. M. & DeLong. E. F. “Environmental genomic reconstruction of potential carbon assimilation and ammonia oxidation pathways in marine Crenarchaeota” (2006) PLoS Biology 4, 520-536.
- DeLong, E. F., Preston, C. M., Mincer, T., Rich, V., Hallam, S. J., Frigaard, N. U., Martinez, A., Sullivan, M. B., Edwards, R., Brito, B. R., Chisholm, S. W. & Karl, D. M. “Community genomics among stratified microbial assemblages in the ocean's interior” (2006) Science 311, 496-503. **Recommended Faculty of 1000 rating**
- Mincer, T. J., Jensen, Paul R., & Fenical, William H. “Targeted amplification of specific actinomycete 16S ribosomal gene sequences from marine sediments using a nested PCR technique.” (2005) Appl Environ Microbiol 71, 7019-28.
- Maldonado, L. A., Fenical, W., Jensen, P. R., Kauffman, C. A., Mincer, T. J., Ward, A. C., Bull, A. T. & Goodfellow, M. “Salinispora arenicola gen. nov., sp. nov. and Salinispora tropica sp. nov., obligate marine actinomycetes belonging to the family Micromonosporaceae” (2005) Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 55, 1759-66.
- Jensen, P. R., Mincer, T. J., Williams, P. G. & Fenical, W. H. “Marine actinomycete diversity and natural product discovery” (2005) Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 87, 43-8.
- Jensen, P. R., Gontang, E., Mafnas, C, Mincer, T. J. & Fenical, W. H. “Culturable marine actinomycete diversity from tropical Pacific Ocean sediments.” Environ Microbiol (2005) 7, 1039-48.
- Mincer, T. J., Spyere, A., Jensen, P. R. & Fenical, W. H. “Phylogenetic and secondary metabolite analyses of marine bacteria belonging to the genus Saprospira.” (2004) Curr Microbiol 49, 300-7.
- Jensen, P. R., Mincer, T. J., Fenical, W. H. “The true potential of the marine microorganism.” Current Drug Discovery (2003) 17-19.
- Feling, R. H., Buchanan, G. O., Mincer, T. J., Jensen, P. R. & Fenical, W. H. “Salinosporamide A, a potent proteasome inhibitor from a novel microbial source.” (2003) Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 42, 355-7.
- Mincer, T. J., Jensen, P. R., Kauffman, C. A. & Fenical, W. H. “Widespread and persistent populations of a major new marine actinomycete taxon in ocean sediments.” (2002) Appl Environ Microbiol 68, 5005-11. **Exceptional Faculty of 1000 rating**
- Zhong, Z., Caspi, R., Mincer, T., Helinski, D., Knauf, V., Boardman, K., Wilkinson, J. E., Shea, T., DeLoughery, C. & Toukdarian, A. “A 50-kb plasmid rich in mobile gene sequences isolated from a marine Micrococcus.” (2002) Plasmid 47, 1-9.
- Johnson, E. P., Mincer, T., Schwab, H., Burgin, A. B. & Helinski, D. R. “Plasmid RK2 ParB protein: Purification and nuclease properties.” (1999) J Bacteriol 181, 6010-8.
- Sobecky, P. A., Mincer, T. J., Chang, M. C., Toukdarian, A. & Helinski, D. R. “Isolation of broad-host-range replicons from marine sediment bacteria.” (1998) Appl Environ Microbiol 64, 2822-30.
- Sobecky, P. A., Mincer, T. J., Chang, M. C. & Helinski, D. R. “Plasmids isolated from marine sediment microbial communities contain replication and incompatibility regions unrelated to those of known plasmid groups.” (1997) Appl Environ Microbiol 63, 888-95.
Ongoing Research Support:
Flatley Discovery Lab Mincer (PI) 08/25/11-08/24/14
Microbial Bioactive Natural Products from the Marine Environment
OCE-1131415 Mincer (PI) 09/01/11-08/31/14
National Science Foundation
Microbial Supply and Demand of Methanol in the Marine Euphotic Zone
OCE-1155671 Mincer (PI) 03/01/12-02/28/15
National Science Foundation
Microbial Interactions with Marine Plastic Debris: Diversity, Function and Fate
3301 B. Van Mooy (PI), Mincer (Co-PI) 10/09/12-09/30/15
Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Infochemical Control of Microbial Interactions and Nutrient Cycling in the North Atlantic
Published Presentation Abstracts:
Mincer, T. J. “Production of Methanol by Phytoplankton: Implications for Epibiont Interactions” ASLO 2013 Aquatic Sciences Meeting, New Orleans, LA, February, 20, 2013. Oral Presentation.
Zettler, E. R., Mincer, T. J., Proskurowski, G., Amaral-Zettler, L. A. The ‘‘Plastisphere’’: A new and expanding habitat for marine protists. 56th meeting of the Phycological Society of America. July 12–16, 2011. *Oral presentation
Apprill, A., Robbins, J. Mincer, T. J., Pack, A. A., Mattila, D. K. Specificity of
the humpback whale microbiome across geographically distinct populations. 19th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals. Tampa, FL. Nov. 28 – Dec. 2, 2011.
Apprill A, Hughen K, Mincer T. J. Bacterial communities associated with healthy and lesioned corals in comparison to reef water biogeochemistry. ASLO Meeting, February 14 – 18, 2011, San Juan, Puerto Rico. *Oral presentation
Apprill A, Miller T, Hughen K, Mincer T. J. Quantification of SSU rRNA gene copies from Archaea, Bacteria and Eukarya in mixed templates of nucleic acids from marine environments. Marine Microbes Gordon Research Conference, July 4 – 9, 2010, Tilton, NH.
Proskurowski, G., Mincer, T. J., Amaral-Zettler, L. A., Zettler, E. R., DeForce, E., Aicher, A., Moret-Ferguson, S., Lavender-Law, K. Microbial Biofouling of Plastic Marine Debris. Fifth International Marine Debris Conference, March 20-25, 2011. Honolulu, Hawaii. *Oral presentation
Apprill A, Mincer T. J., Moore M. Epithelial microbial communities: a useful health diagnostic tool for right whales? North Atlantic Right Whale Constortium, November 17 – 18, 2009, New Bedford, MA. *Oral presentation
Hmelo, L., Van Mooy, B. A. S., & Mincer, T. J. “Quorum sensing by particle-associated bacteria affects attenuation of particulate organic carbon flux in the oceans.” Ocean Sciences Meeting, February, 2010.
Miller, M. R., Kantor, R., Hmelo, L., Van Mooy, B.A S., Mincer, T. J. “Cultivation-based analyses of methylotrophic bacteria isolated from sinking marine aggregates in Clayoquot Sound, British Columbia.” Ocean Sciences Meeting, February, 2010.
A.M. Hynes; T.J. Mincer; S.C. Doney; J.B. Waterbury. “Clade-Specific Field Distributions of the Nitrogen-Fixing,Marine Cyanobacterium Trichodesmium Using QPCR.” Ocean Sciences Meeting, February, 2010.