The Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) cards, first issued five years ago, will soon be expiring. Unfortunately our attempts to schedule a mobile enrollment center here at WHOI have been unsuccessful for reasons outside of our control, so individuals are responsible for enrolling and picking up their TWIC renewal.
WHOI staff needing to renew their cards can either enroll for a new 5-year credential or, at a reduced fee, extend the existing card for 3 years. This three-year card is called an EED, Extended Expiration Date TWIC.
WHOI recommends staff requiring a TWIC card for accessing the main dock and for their own research travel requirements should use the three-year extension option, if possible. To do so, you must be a U.S citizen or a U.S. national and your current TWIC must be valid (not revoked or expired). All others must enroll in the five-year TWIC.
Three-year extension: This will require $60 payment over the phone and one visit to the Enrollment Center in Carver to pick up your new TWIC card. The procedure is:
1. Have a credit card ready for payment of the $60 fee. (See your Department Administrator for charge number)
2. Have your current TWIC card available.
3. Call 1-866-347-8942 between 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. (Eastern). (Wait times are shorter between 8 – 9 a.m. and 4 – 7 p.m.). The procedure takes about 10-15 minutes once you speak with someone. Up to five people can re-enroll per phone call so it is recommended to pass the phone to a colleague.
4. Make sure to choose the Bourne Enrollment Center to pick up your card. The Bourne Enrollment Center is located at 300 Tremont Street (Route 58) Carver, MA 02330.
5. After you have completed enrollment, you will receive an email in about 2-3 weeks with instructions to set a pick-up appointment.
If you allow your card to expire without re-enrolling, you will need to follow procedures for a full five-year credential which will require two visits to the TWIC center in Carver.
Five-year TWIC: If your card is expired or if you would like a five-year card, you will need to go through an entire enrollment process, which costs $129.75 and involves two trips to the enrollment center in Carver, Boston, or Providence. Please follow the pre-enrollment directions at the following link:https://twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov/TWICWebApp/