Theresa L. Smith, 2006 Hollings Fellows Summer Internships
University of Rhode Island
Advisor: Robert Weller, Upper Ocean Processes Group
NOAA Hollings Scholar Summer Internship
Related NOAA Strategic Plan Goal:
Summary of Accomplishments
- Understand climate variability and change to enhance society’s ability to plan and respond.
- Serve society’s needs for weather and water information.
I had three major projects during my internship: 1.) Mooring Instrumentation Documentation, 2.) WHOI Hawaii Ocean Time Series (WHOTS) buoy recovery and deployment, and 3.) Web writer and editor for CICOR/WHOI Ocean Instruments Website. A side project was to learn data processing using Matlab for UOP telemetry team.
- Developed valuable skills in buoy recovery and deployment during the WHOTS 2006 aboard R/V Roger Revelle research cruise in the Pacific Ocean near the Hawaiian Islands.
- Helped write script using Matlab for an intercomparison exercise during the cruise which enabled scientists to plot real-time meteorological data from the buoy and the ship.
- Updated the mooring instrumentation database by weighing and measuring instruments and mooring assemblages, photographing them and collecting various specifications needed to construct deep ocean buoys for the UOP group. In addition, I designed a template which will be used to add more instruments to the database. This template was used to create a manual that could be published on the web in order to make WHOI mooring instrumentation information available to other scientists and engineers.
- Researched and wrote about each of the sensors which are a part of UOP group’s Air Sea Interaction Meteorology ASIMET. Using a web development program and template provided by WHOI, I constructed “ASIMET Sensors” web page (see http://www.whoi.edu/instruments/viewInstrument.do?id=14686#15226 and http://www.whoi.edu/instruments/viewInstrument.do?id=12827)
- Presented these achievements at the NOAA headquarters in Silver Spring
- Attended weekly UOP group meetings
- Attended WHOI Student Fellowship summer seminars
- Future presentation of this internship experience at a brown bag event where I am currently employed (Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies)
Last updated: August 19, 2008