Human Resources

J-1 Exchange Visitor

   Print  PDF  Change text to small (default) Change text to medium Change text to large

The J-1 visa holder is defined as an Exchange Visitor Program participant. The purpose of the program is to "increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges." The Institution has been designated as a sponsor for the Research Scholar, Short Term Scholar and Student Non-Degree categories by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) which administers this program. Tenure or tenure track candidates cannot be sponsored on a J-1 visa.

J-1 Research Scholar
A J-1 Research Scholar is an individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project. They may also teach or lecture. The maximum period of participation for a J Research Scholar has increased from three years to five years.  The five year period is not cumulative; it is a continuous five-year period.  The five year period of participation begins on the program start date on the form DS-2019.

J-1 Short-Term Scholar
A J-1 Short-Term Scholar is a professor, research scholar, specialist or a person with similar education or accomplishments visiting on a short-term basis for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training or demonstrating special skills. The Short-term Scholar may remain in the U.S. for up to six months. The six month period coincides with the maximum period of stay in J-1 status which will not trigger the bar on participation in a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor program for J-1 stays within the preceding year (see below). There can be no extension of stay beyond the six-month limit for Short Term Scholar participants.

J-1 Student College/University
This category provides forgeign students the opportunity to study at a degree-granting post-secondary accredited educational instituion. Students may participate in degree and non-degree programs.

A J-1 student at WHOI participates in a non-degree program in a full-prescribed course of study to conduct research; analyze data, and present research results in collaboration with a scientific/technical staff member. WHOI does not issue academic credit for the student's research, but a description and evaluation is available upon request. There is a 24-month maximum period of participation in this category.

Learn more about
» Employment
» Two-year Home Residency Requirement
» Bar on Participation
» Health Insurance Requirements
» J-2 Dependents
» Procedures
» Obtaining Permission for Incidental Employment

Last updated: October 3, 2018