- Work at least 8 hours per day and, at times in excess of 12 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Work at sea for three to five months continuously.
- Live and work in cramped quarters, frequently in bad weather and with violent ship motion.
- Pass examinations for visual acuity, color sense, and hearing as established in Title 46 CFR Parts 10 and 12, and pass a physical evaluation as described in the enclosed Navigation and Vessel Inspection Articles 6-89.
- Climb steep and vertical ladders, and enter and exit compartments through hatches, doors, and sills up to two feet high.
- Participate in emergency drills and in launching lifeboats and life rafts.
- Perform physical labor, climb and handle moderate weights and equipment over 50 pounds.
|Physical Capability||Example of Essential Function|
|Balance||Work in confined and unstable areas.|
|Bend, kneel, squat||Clean, maintain, and inspect equipment.|
|Climb||Reach work areas, equipment and stores by ladder and stairs.|
|Crawl||Crawl through bilge pockets, and under ladders and winch beds.|
|Feel||Touch objects: where sight is limited.|
|Finger||Manipulate nuts, bolts, tools, and cleaning gear.|
|Handle||Handle equipment and stores with sure grip.|
|Hear, talk||Communicate with people.|
|Lift, carry||Load stores over 50 pounds.|
|Push, pull||Move equipment over 50 pounds.|
|Reach||Up, over, and under equipment and stores.|
|See||Read labels, menus, logs, charts, and gauges in poor lighting.|
|Sit||Operate crane, Avon, lifeboat, and life raft.|
|Stand||Work on equipment.|
|Walk||Perform rounds at sea.|
|Work Condition||Example of Hazardous Area/Duty|
|Confined areas||Store rooms, engine spaces, and tanks|
|Potential allergens and irritants||Fuels, solvents, cleaners, dust, fumes, smoke, and gases|
|Adverse weather||On deck in rough seas during equipment maintenance|
|Extreme temperatures||On deck in tropics and high latitudes; in engine room|
|Potential hazards||Being at sea; slippery and uneven surfaces; moving parts and objects; climbing ladders; and working aloft|
|Noise||Constant and loud engine room noise, blowers, exhaust fans|
|Schedule||Protracted and irregular working hours|
|Vibrations||Ship's engines and chipping hammer|