In order to be reimbursed for expenses incurred or to substantiate travel advances and prepaid expenses, a traveler must submit an Expense Voucher using the Unanet Expense tool.  The completed Expense Voucher must be submitted for reimbursement within 60 days of the traveler's return from each trip.  If not, the reimbursement will become taxable income under the IRS Accountable Plan rules (Publication 463 Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses). In this situation the Institution will pay reimbursement via payroll  and the appropriate taxes will be withheld.

Individuals must attempt to obtain a copy of the original receipt from the vendor for all travel costs in excess of $75.  Any expense processed in UNANET that is missing a receipt, a valid explanation must be provided in the UNANET Receipt Wizard field.  For more detailed instructions please refer to the Unanet Expense Training link.  If not using the Unanet Expense tool, a paper missing receipt affidavit must be signed by both the individual and authorized signer with a complete explanation of the expense if a copy of the receipt is unobtainable.  Form must be attached to paper Travel Expense Voucher/Request For Payment.

Any non-employee paid via Travel Expense Voucher must complete a Form W-9 before issuing payment.  The W-9 serves as confirmation of non-employee's taxpayer identification number (as employees do when preparing a Form W-4).


Approval must be obtained from the person with budgetary responsibility for the project(s) to be charged, and a Department Administrator/Chairperson or Group Manager. The authorizing signature indicates that the charges are proper.


Travel Related Expenses (EFFECTIVE MARCH 8, 2010)

                                       Receipts and stubs

The original or scanned copy of the following receipts and/or stubs must be submitted with the travel expense voucher:

     a.  receipts for all airline expenses; 
  receipts for all rental car expenses; 
receipts for local transportation costing $75 or more; 
receipts for each miscellaneous expense costing $75 or more; 
receipts for all lodging expenses incurred on travel,
receipts for each meal and incidental expense costing $75 or more when 
        claiming actual subsistence expenses; and 
receipts for a gift costing $25 or more provided to a host.

Non-Travel Related Expense Reimbursement

All reimbursements must include original itemized receipts.

Documentary evidence will be considered adequate to support an expenditure if it includes sufficient information to establish the amount, date, place, and the essential character of the expenditure.  Reimbursements must be submitted within 60 days of incurred expense.

Per Diem

When seeking reimbursement for meals on a per diem basis please specify the number of meals claimed. If you are calculating Foreign per diem, please refer to the State Department rates.
» Meals Per Diem Rate
» Foreign Per Diem Rates


All reimbursements of Expense Vouchers will be in U.S. dollars. If an expense voucher states foreign currency, Accounts Payable will convert to U.S. dollars using the exchange rate effective at the time of travel. If the traveler has converted the foreign monies into U.S. dollars the exchange rate used must be documented on the expense form.

» Currency Converters

Business Conference Costs

If reimbursement is claimed, receipts are required regardless of the amount. A separate memo attached to the Expense Voucher must give the names of all guests, the Institution employees in attendance, purpose and location. Receipted expenses may involve facilities rental, luncheon or dinner costs.


For questions post travel expenses (expense vouchers and reimbursements), please contact Colleen Tuson at  or (508) 289-3267.

Last updated: June 9, 2020