Employee Morale and Recognition Events
- Issue Date: July 1, 1997
- Primary Contact: Director of Human Resources
- Responsible Member of Directorate: President and Director
- Responsible Office: Human Resources
OverviewI. The Institution
recognizes the significant contributions of its employees and students
in making the Institution a world leader in
ocean science. It supports activities that acknowledge those contributions
and that foster positive morale and Institution
spirit. These activities can take the form of a variety of events,
both formal and informal. For example:
1. Annual Employee Service Recognition.
An Institution- wide event to acknowledge employee service, including
retirees. Special recognition is given to active employees in
regular status, at half time or more, who have completed more
than 10 years of accured service. Service is recognized in 10
2. Special Performance Awards. Individual and
group awards are given annually to acknowledge special employee
performance over and above one's normal duties and responsibilities.
The recipients are nominated by their peers. The awards, usually
a plaque and a modest check, are presented at the annual Employee
Service Recognition event.
3. Summer Picnic and Holiday Party. Institution-wide
events, open to employees, students and their families, in celebration
of seasonal activities.
4. Socials. Periodic events targeted to recognize
particular special employee groups, e.g., a dinner party for
recent retirees and their spouses, receptions for foreign visitors,
their families and their WHOI sponsors/hosts, etc.
5. Ship Homecomings and Farewells. Festivities
at the Institution Dock open to all Institution staff, students
and families on the occasion of a WHOI research vessel leaving
on or returning from an extended voyage.
6. TGIF's. Periodic evening gatherings at various
campus locations for employees to socialize.
7. Special Events. From time to time, opportunities
occur, warranting special acknowledgement.
you require assistance in the interpretation of this procedure,
please contact your Human Resources Representative.
Last updated: May 7, 2008