Annual Application Deadline: February 15
We appreciate your interest in the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution's Summer Student Fellowship program. The application period for Summer 2017 will open in mid-November 2016.
RequirementsIn addition to the on-line application form, the following are required:
- A current CV or resume that shows educational background and work experience;
- A current unofficial transcript, preferably a PDF document. (Note: An Official Transcript will be required from any applicant who receives a Summer Student Fellowship.);
- At least three letters of recommendation from professors or others familiar with the applicant's academic credentials (Recommendation forms are available through the link in the box to the right.);
- A completed Course Record worksheet (within the application) listing undergraduate coursework by subject category, primary textbook used for each course, and the grade received for completing the course;
- A research statement, no longer than three double-spaced, typewritten pages, that addresses the following five questions:
- How would a summer of research at WHOI benefit your education and career plans?
- What skills do you expect to obtain from this research experience?
- What skills do you have that would make you a good researcher?
- Have you previously been involved in research projects as part of your classwork, a job or an internship? If so, what skills did you apply or gain from this experience?
- What areas of marine research are you interested in and why? You may refer to a specific lab at WHOI or a general area, see WHOI Areas of Research
You may access an application and reference forms by using the links on the right. Once you have submitted an on-line application, use the 'Application Status Login' link to submit any remaining application materials, or to monitor the status of your application.
Please Note: Applicants must direct their reference writers to the References page on this website. References listed on a student's application will not be automatically contacted by the application server.
» View the References page
Completed applications must be submitted by February 15. Applicants will be notified of decisions in mid March.
All students who are offered a position at this REU Site have until March 15th or later to accept or reject the offer. Any student who is asked to accept or reject an offer prior to March 15th should contact the NSF Division of Ocean Sciences REU Program Director, Elizabeth Rom.
Funding for this REU site is provided by the National Science Foundation's Division of Ocean Sciences located in Arlington, VA. The NSF contact for this program is Elizabeth Rom. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Organization.