Information Office Volunteer Guidelines
Morning: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Afternoon: 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- A strong commitment from seasonal volunteers for the months of July and August is very important.
- If you are unable to volunteer occasionally on your assigned day, please notify Joanne Tromp at (508) 289-3338.
- Greet walk-in visitors and respond to their inquires.
- Provide informational brochures.
- Direct visitors to the Exhibit Center.
- Inform visitors of the things to do and see in Woods Hole.
- Take reservations for the walking tours.
- Check in tour participants and direct them to start of tour.
- Answer telephone.
- Refill information racks located in the Information Office.
- Keep front area of Information Office orderly.
Exhibit Center Volunteer Guidelines
Morning: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Afternoon: 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- For seasonal volunteers a strong commitment from April through September is necessary.
- If you are unable to volunteer occasionally on your assigned day, please notify Joanne Tromp at (508) 289-3338 or Kathy Patterson at (508) 289-2700.
- Greet visitors in a friendly manner and answer their questions.
- Keep a count of all visitors entering Exhibit Center.
- Direct visitors to the various exhibits.
- Refill information racks with literature.
- Straighten chairs in the auditorium.
- Sweep away leaves or other debris that might blow in and keep the downstairs tidy.
- Water outside plants by doors both downstairs and upstairs.
- Morning and afternoon volunteers should count donations and bring donations to staff.
- Afternoon volunteer should turn off lights and equipment and should lock the downstairs door at 4:30 p.m.
Guidelines For Volunteer Tour Guides
- A strong commitment for the months of June, July, and August is mandatory for this position.
- If you are unable to volunteer occasionally on your assigned day, please notify Joanne Tromp as soon as possible at (508) 289-3338.
- Be willing to give tours at least once a week during the summer season.
- Attend training sessions.
- Follow the script provided.
- Keep tours to one hour.
- Uphold a good public image.
- Wear shirt with WHOI logo (provided).
- Keep an awareness of your surroundings for group safety and well-being.
- Keep tour groups to no more than 15 persons.
- Never enter a lab or office without permission from a WHOI employee.
- Gratuities offered to tour guides should be included with the Exhibit Center donations and acknowledge that you are accepting it as a donation to WHOI.
Archive Volunteer Guidelines
- A strong commitment is mandatory for this position.
- If you are unable to volunteer occasionally on your assigned day, please call the Archives at (508) 289-2850.
- Establish a schedule.
- (Flexible hours and days can be arranged).
- If schedule changes, please notify staff.
- Different types and levels of skill are required including photo identification, photo scanning, archival processing, oral histories, photocopying, etc.
- Be able to work well independently in a quiet environment.
- No significant allergies to dust, mold, or mildew.
Guidelines for Peanut Butter Club Volunteer Projectionist
- Must be available on Fridays.
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Pick up book, video, and cookies at Information Office by 11:30 a.m.
- Greet and make welcome PBC attendees.
- Keep a count of PBC attendees.
- Operate projection equipment.
- Introduce live presenters.
- Collect, count, and deliver all donations to Information Office.
- Attend training sessions when needed.
- Check auditorium after presentation for debris and forgotten items.
- Notify projectionist coordinator if you are unable to be present on your assigned day.