|March 7, 2012 meeting minutes|
- Hauke Kite-‐Powell (co-‐chair)
- Stephanie Murphy (co-‐chair)
- Shawn Arellano (postdoc rep)
- Wu-‐Jung Lee (JP student rep)
- Alessandro Bocconcelli (AOPE)
- Eleanor Bors (JP Student, Secretary)
- Jian Lin (G&G)
- Lonny Lippsett (Communications)
- Michelle McCafferty (APO) Sandipa Singh (AOPE)
- Ann Sweck (HR)
- David Wang (JP Student)
- Joel Llopiz (Alternate Postdoc rep)
1. With the new leadership in place, Stephanie and Hauke suggest we take a step back and consider the goals that have been laid out already, what we think the goals should be as we move forward, and why these goals are important. As we move forward, all work and events (e.g. speakers, events) should focus on achieving the goals out.
ACTION ITEM: Read the “charge” and “roadmap” (on website) to see if they need updating. Everyone should do this.
2. We should explore how other institutions works to achieve diversity
- What does MIT do to maintain a diverse student body and campus?
- What are NSF’s diversity initiativs?
- What is academic programs doing (esp. Jim Yoder who we think is organizing some upcoming diversity workshops)
ACTION: members were assigned tasks to
- research MITs diversity initiatives
- compile literature that addresses the value of diversity in sciences
- research NSF diversity initiatives
- reach out to Jim Yoder (Larry Maden, Susan Avery?) ( Hauke & Stephanie)
- When was the last speaker? When should we organize a new one? Who would be a good speaker?
- Look at NSF diversity leaders and in diversity literature for speaker ideas
- Bridge Lecture Series: Any progress on this?
- Suggestion to produce a few “canned” slides about WHOI and diversity that scientists can take with them when they give talks about their own research
- Trustee Meeting in May (23 & 24)
- suggestion to see if we can get on the schedule to give a 5 minute presentation to trustees about our goals
4. Other :
-‐Suggestion that we put together a list or package of funding
opportunities include the aim to increase diversity. List on website?
Last updated: May 3, 2012