Please note: You are viewing the unstyled version of this website. Either your browser does not support CSS (cascading style sheets) or it has been disabled. Skip navigation.

Change of Status

  Email    Print  PDF  Change text to small (default) Change text to medium Change text to large

C, D, K, WB or WT visa holder you are not eligible to change to any other status within the U.S. including J-1.  A J-2 who is subject to the 212(e) home residence requirement is not eligible to change from J-2 to J-1 within the U.S. unless they obtain a waiver of the 212(e) requirement.

An alien present in the U.S. may apply to the USCIS Service Center with jurisdiction over their place of residence for a change of status.  The benefits of J-1 status are not available until the change of status application is approved by USCIS.

Procedure to change to J-1 status
To apply for a change of status, submit:

Last updated: July 29, 2014

whoi logo

Copyright ©2008 Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, All Rights Reserved, Privacy Policy.
Problems or questions about the site, please contact
Contact Us | Site Map | External | Internal
WHOI Facebook WHOI You TubeWHOI TwitterRead our BlogsWHOI RSS feeds