Insurance & Risk Management

Worker's Compensation Insurance


All Institution employees, except Masters and crew memebers of the research vessels, are covered by the Massachusetts Workers' Compensation Act for injuries and illnesses arising out of and in the course of their employment.

The law provides benefits for loss of wages due to temporary or permanent disability, as well as payment for hospital and medical expenses. These payments are made by the Institution's insurance carrier.

State law requires that work-related injuries be reported to the Massachusetts Department of Industrial Accidents.


In the event of a work-related injury or illness, the employee must report the incident immediately to his/her supervisor.

The supervisor must complete an Accident Investigation Report Form and forward it to the Safety Office within 24 hours of the incident, even if no medical treatment is sought. From the Safety Office the report goes to the Risk Management Coordinator where it is used to open a worker's comp claim. Timely reporting is very important so as not to prejudice the employee's claim and result in delayed payments or loss of benefits.

The employee should not give his/her group health insurance number when seeking medical treatment for a work-related injury or illness. Instead, the medical provider should be informed that the injury or illness is work-related and be referred to the Risk Management Cooridinator for claim information. Any medical bills the employee receives relative to the work-related injury or illness should be sent to the Risk Management Coordinator at MS #14.

Last updated: January 30, 2018