Over-the-Side Insurance for Ocean-going Equipment
Over-the-Side (OTS) insurance will provide you with an insurance endorsement to WHOI's OTS insurance policy for equipment used in the field during at sea expeditions. Coverage includes both while on deck and over the side. You will want to include all days at sea in the project start/end dates because transit coverage ends when the equipment is loaded onto the deck of the vessel and does not resume until it is offloaded from the vessel at the end of the cruise.
In order for there to be coverage in the event of a claim the following operating conditions must be adhered to:
- Insured items only to be operated by and under the supervision of suitably trained and authorized personnel
- ROV/AUV pilots should not pilot the vehicle for more than eight hours within a 24 hour period
- Direct communications to be maintained between ROV/AUV pilot and operators of support vessel with crew properly briefed on all ROV/AUV operations
- ROV/AUV equipment should not be launched or recovered when weather conditions and sea state (and in particular wave surge zones) exceed the limits for prudent operations
- insured items are not to be operated in conditions which exceed equipment's specified operating parameters
- ROV/AUV equipment should not be operated in poor water visibility (less than 3 meters) unless sonar is in use
- Approval of underwriters is required when operating eqiument in unusually hazardous circumstances including eg. blowouts, when explosives are required or when operating within confined structures or wreckage
- ROV/AUV equipment to be fitted with an acoustic beacon when the vehicle is negatively or neutrally buoyant
2017 Rates and Terms
The premium rate for equipment declared for short term coverage is $10.00 per $100 of valuation per annum, prorated to the number of days requested. There is a $1,000 minimum charge. The deductible is 15% of declared values per occurrence with a $25,000 minimum and $450,000 maximum.
To request a quote for over the side insurance see the Over the Side Request Page.
See the Over the Side Insurance FAQ's for answers to frequently asked questions.
If your equipment is in regular use throughout the year, you can add it to the Schedule of Equipment for a rate of $3.134 per $100 of value per annum prorated. Once an item is scheduled it must remain scheduled for the rest of the year. Deductibles apply as for short term declarations. Please contact the Risk Management Coordinator for details and to schedule equipment. Scheduled equipment is covered while in transit, on deck and while over the side as well as while in storage or at WHOI.
Please note: scheduled equipment is automatically covered for transit. Please do not enter values when making a shipping request for scheduled equipment!
Last updated: June 27, 2017