Conflict of Interest and Commitment
The Institution has updated the policy on Conflict of Interest, Conflict of Commitment and Outside Professional Activities. With this update, the WHOI disclosure form has been revised and newly required training for Principal Investigators and other members of the administration to enable them to recognize potential conflicts of interest or commitment. The 2018 disclosure form must be submitted by January 31, 2018 and training if required must be done by February, 28 2018. If you have questions, please contact Janet Moore at x2348.
2018 Activity Disclosure form due: Tuesday, 31 January 2018
All individuals at the Institution are required to report annually on all of their outside professional activities and to disclose significant financial interest in entities that could be related to funded research or work at WHOI. Failure to submit will delay proposal submission to an agency or establishment of awards.
Everyone with any kind of WHOI appointment in 2018, paid or unpaid, is required to submit this annual disclosure.
Individuals report on 2017 activities and significant financial interests on the Activity Disclosure form due 31 January 2018 that can be found on two webpages.
- WHOI employees and others with WHOI email and LDAP. Disclosure form for WHOI employees, Emeriti and affiliates with WHOI email and LDAP
- All others (including marine crew) with a WHOI affiliation but who do not have a WHOI email and LDAP password. Disclosure form for Individuals without WHOI email.
INSTRUCTIONS for non-WHOI employees (e.g., Guest investigators, Adjuncts, Guest Students, Visiting Investigators).
- Provide your permanent work affiliation or Educational Institution in the box titled “Institution (if not at WHOI)”.
- Click “Yes, I have outside professional and commercial activities that relate to the commitments of a profession or business nature (akin to an individual’s work) at WHOI.”
- Complete sections A, B and C.
- In Section B, for Number of Hours -specify number of hours, full time, or part time, as appropriate. (e.g., full-time student).
- Individuals report on 2016 activities on the 2017 COI disclosure form.
Conflict of Interest Training
Complete by Monday, February 29, 2016 (if required)
Conflict of Interest training is now required of all PIs and certain members of the staff (Training List) every 4 years. The training is on-line, and you must first register at the training site. The results of your training will be stored in a database.
Instructions to register for COI training
- WHOI employees and individuals with WHOI email and LDAP password
- Individuals without WHOI email and LDAP password
Public Health Services Financial Conflict of Interest
Individuals planning to submit proposals to or who have ongoing research funds from any Public Health Services Agency (e.g. NIH, CDC) must also submit a PHS Financial Conflict of Interest Form (FCOI) by January 31, 2016 to their Department for forwarding to GCS.