Medical Plan Options
WHOI offers three (3) different medical plans which are offered through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA):
Blue Care Elect Saver - A high deductible medical plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). For more information on this plan, click here. Please note if you are enrolled in Medicare, you cannot choose this medical plan.
Advantage Blue - A low deductible medical plan. For more information on this plan, click here.
The following will illustrate those characteristics that are in common between the three medical plans:
- Use the same national PPO provider network
- Do not require a Primary Care Physician
- Do not require referrals to Specialists (self-referrals)
The following will hightlight some of the major differences between the medical plans:
- The annual deductible is different under each plan
- The annual deductible has no individual cap on the Blue Care Elect Saver (with HSA) plan
- Services subject to the deductible are different between each plan
- The Advantage Blue plan does not allow for out-of-network coverage, unless for emergency services
- Rx prescription copayments vary between plans
For a side-by-side comparison of covered services and out-of-pocket costs under the three medical plans, see the Medical Plan Comparison.
Last updated: September 16, 2016