> Email Service FAQ
Email Service FAQ
What is the email service at WHOI?
The WHOI email service is a state-of-the-art hardware
and software configuration for the present and foreseeable needs
of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and its employees. It
is designed to handle high volumes of email messages efficiently
How is it configured?
- Fast, redundant, dual processor servers for email routing
- Cyrus mail server software
- Incoming mail server names designed to allow easy migrations,
if ever needed.
- Outgoing mail servers configured with Round-Robin DNS, so
that only one name is needed, but performance is scalable.
- Mail folders located under main INBOX.
- Use of LDAP directory for address lookups.
- Use of dynamic LDAP-based mailing lists allowed.
- Uses IMAP and SMTP protocols.