Southern Ocean GLOBEC Bathymetry:
I recently discovered that Internet Explorer by Microsoft can not access the FTP site from the web pages as I have set up the pages. We must have a password protected data site so that this data is not publicly available. But, this is in effect excluding those who use Internet Explorer by Microsoft. Below I have three potential work arounds for those using Internet Explorer by Microsoft.
1) After clicking on ftp://email@example.com from Internet Explorer, you can hit Refresh, which will prompt you with a login box in which you use the username and password to gain access. This work arround seems to need the later verions of Internet Explorer.
2) Create a link to ftp://ftp.whoi.edu, which logs you in
anonymously, and then from the Menu on your browser, you can select File -> Login As..
and then use the username and password to gain access. This also seems to need the later verions of Internet Explorer.
3) Ftp directly to the ftp site. You will need to use your operating system ftp program for this.
- a) Use the command ftp ftp.whoi.edu and then login in with the username and password you have been given.
- b) If option a above does not work ,you may not have a name server that knows where ftp.whoi.edu is. You can then try the command ftp 188.8.131.52 and login in with the username and password you have been given.
Go BACK to the Southern Ocean GLOBEC Bathymetry page.
Go BACK to the Southern Ocean GLOBEC Get Data page.
This page was created by Tom Bolmer.
send comments and questions to:
Last Modified 02/13/03