High Latitude Research Vessel
WHOI Marine Operations
Ice Capable Research Vessel* Programmatics
NSF is funding design. $ 274K 00 Concept Design
- ~$1,000K 01 Preliminary & Contract Design
including tow-tank tests
- WHOI is teamed with the University of Alaska/Fairbanks.
- WHOI team (Pittenger, Coburn, Dinsmore, Wiebe).
- Concept Design final report due early May and will be aired in an open
meeting to be arranged at WHOI by Marine Ops.
- Contract design to be finished by 1 Jan 03.
- Construction funds TBD but probably NSF FY03 for first ship to be
delivered in about 07. Estimated cost per vessel $55M.
- * Note: This ship is also known as Alaskan Region Research Vessel (ARRV) and
High Latitude Research Vessel (HLRV).
General Characteristics (Tentative from Concept Design)
Ice Class: ABS Class A1, CASPPR (Canadian Arctic Shipping Pollution
Prevention Regulations) and SOLAS Certified
- Speed: maximum 14 kts., cruising 12 kts.
- Endurance: 45 days, 60 days hotel, ~ 25% full power.
- Science Party: 24
- Working Deck: 2500 - 3000 sq. ft.
- Labs: 2500 - 3000 sq. ft.
- Dynamic Positioning System
- Science payload 100 long tons; science storage 10,000 cu. ft.
Ship Parameters (Tentative from Concept Design)
Length: 210 220 ft.
- Beam: 43 47 ft.
- Draft: 18 19 ft.
- Horsepower: 5000
- Working Deck Height: 9 10 ft.
- Cranes, Winches, Heave Compensation: Modern and Sufficient
- Lab Outfitting: clean room, fume hoods, science information system
and computers, ADCP, multibeam sonar, clean power, LP air,
clean saltwater, coverable stern trawl ramp, sonar mast, etc.
to WHOI Arctic Group Projects