How to for Independent Contractors
Please provide Procurement with the following forms for an Independent Contractor (IC)
- WHOI Purchase Requisition (please fill out all fields)
- A Quote/Statement of Work from the IC
- Classification Checklist A
- If the work is >$9,999 Justification for Single/Sole and Urgent Purchases form or, three bids (lowest bid selected)
We will need to understand and document the expectations of the Independent Contractor/WHOI relationship
- What do you want them to do for WHOI?
- What compensation are they expecting?
The Contract between WHOI and the contractor should spell out expectations
- Statement of Work (or WHOI Exhibit A) should spell out your expectations from the IC. Procurement can assist you with this.
- If the contractor is doing more than one project, we can add additional Statements of Work or Exhibit A documentation to the contract. Procurement can assist you with this.
We need to understand the relationship between WHOI and the Independent Contractor to avoid conflict of interest
Expenses for Independent Contractors are reimbursed with the same policies that govern WHOI employees
Independent Contractor Forms
Refreshed form for 2018
The form will download in WORD
This form assists the Institution in determining whether the individual performing the services will be classified for tax purposes as an employee of WHOI or as an independent contractor. Please fill out the first page and submit this with your requisition.
There is advanced diligence with Independent Contractors and approvals from Procurement and Human Resources are required prior to engagement. As such no Independent Contractor relationship or agreement should be entered into without prior written authorization from Procurement and Human Resources.