|Who we are and why we're here at WHOI|
WHOI Graphic Services is here at the institution as an in-house resource creating a wide variety of graphic products intended to support the scientific staff, the education efforts, and the general administration of the institution. Our staff features professional designers, illustrators, photographers and multimedia experts who have accumulated extensive knowledge in the multi-faceted art of communication. Our goal is to help you professionally represent the WHOI mission with contemporary and polished products and services. For more information, please contact Graphic Services Manager Jayne Doucette at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 2647.
Products and services available at WHOI Graphic Services
• Studio, field location, group and individual portraits
• Equipment, event, 360° panoramic lab shots
• Passport or visa portraits
• All our high-resolution digital images are uploaded into the WHOI online image database for you to conveniently download to your desktop from anywhere in the world via the web.
• Custom scanning, printing, matting and framing
Contact: Tom Kleindinst, email@example.com or ext. 2470
Publishing - Web and Print
• Custom website development and design
• Publication layout and design, prepress proofing
Sample: Oceanus magazine, WHOI Institute annual reports, Report to Donors.
Contact: Katherine Spencer Joyce, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 3567 or Amy Caracappa-Qubeck at email@example.com, ext. 2260
Contemporary, professional, and polished design
• Posters, flyers, brochures, invitations
• Logos, t-shirts
• PowerPoint & Keynote
Contact: Jack Cook, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 4837
Illustration & Animation
• Conceptual illustration for complex scientific and engineering work
• Custom animations of complex systems for use on the web or in presentations
Contact: Paul Oberlander, email@example.com, ext.4862 or Jack Cook, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 4837
High Definition Videography & Audio/Visual support
• Production shooting & editing
• DVD production/reproduction, digital video compression for web
• AV technical support for meetings and conferences
• Web-based teleconferencing coordination or live streaming of conferences for virtual audiences
Contact: Matt Barton, email@example.com, ext. 3461 or Tim Silva, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 2486
Stationary and Reports processing
• Business cards, invitations, and stationery
• Technical reports and theses processing
Contact: Linda Skiba, email@example.com, ext. 3516
FAQ's about WHOI Graphic Services
Q. How much will it cost me to discuss a project I have in mind to represent my work?
A. It will cost you nothing to talk with us about your project. If you decide to hire us to create a product that you can use in a multitude of different ways, it will cost you and hourly shop rate of $80. We accept payment via grants, credit cards, and purchase orders.
Q. What if I have already started a project and I can only afford to have it polished?
A. You can still come in and talk to us about what you’ve already done and what you need as a finished product. We can help you by jumping in at any point, however we would prefer that you come and talk with us at no cost prior to you beginning this project yourself.
Q. Why does it cost money to get graphics created in-house at WHOI?
A. Because we are a WHOI cost center and not a WHOI overhead expenditure. WHOI has a variety of in-house service centers that are designed to completely recover all their annual expenses by charging out their services at an hourly rate that is set at the beginning of each year. This cost recovery method is intended to charge projects on a per-use basis instead of impacting the overhead multiplier. The hourly rate that is set at the beginning of each year is estimated based on how much money it cost to recover our cost center’s expenses in the prior year, divided by the number of chargeable business hours in that past year. These expenses include everything from staff salaries and fringe benefits to the cost of operating a shop full of state-of-the-art equipment in a WHOI building.
Additional FAQ’s relating to Graphic Services can be found at our website
Last updated: February 24, 2012