Charitable Remainder Trusts
For those individuals who desire a separately-invested trust to provide for loved ones, as well as for WHOI, there are a number of options provided by charitable remainder trusts. The trust holds assets for a term of years (up to 20) or for the lifetime of those individuals who are designated as income beneficiaries. At the conclusion of the trust the assets are given to the designated charities to be used as the donor directed.
There are numerous benefits associated with the trust:
- Donors may elect to receive either a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust as it is valued annually or a fixed annuity. The minimum payout rate is 5%.
- These trusts are tax-exempt.
- Unlike the gift annuity, donors may choose to have more than two individual beneficiaries.
- Donors can provide for more than one charity to share in the remainder.
- They may be funded with appreciated assets such as stock, real estate or other assets.
- They can provide a substantial charitable deduction to the donor.
To find out current rates on your own, please try our planned giving calculator
. For more information, please contact us at (508) 289-4895.