||CRV Crew Member
Reporting to the Captain of CRV Tioga , is responsible for assisting the Captain as directed.
as a deck-hand by handling lines and rigging equipment; assisting the
Captain in the operation of the boat on day trips or short coastal
- Assists the Captain in maintaining and operating all equipment on board.
- Assists the Captain and science party as directed in operating scientific equipment on board in support of research projects.
- Stands watch underway on the bridge as helmsman, lookout, or as otherwise directed by the Captain.
- Stands watch in port as directed by the Captain.
- Operates deck equipment as directed and supervised by the Captain for loading stores and/or other equipment.
- Performs general engineering related duties including wiping oil and maintaining tools.
the supervision of the Captain, cleans, preserves, primes, coats,
sponges, and maintains all interior and exterior spaces on board
including bilges, bulkheads, decks, passageways, machinery, and
- Assists the Captain in keeping logs and records in accordance with Institution and U.S. Coast Guard directives.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may deem necessary.
Desired Education/Experience for Hiring
High school diploma
or equivalent education preferred, along with experience on a similar
vessel or boat-related work. Candidates must understand the principles
of good seamanship and marine maintenance with respect to small boats
and deck equipment. Mechanical or electronics experience or technical
school training beyond high school level is a plus. Must be at least 18
years old. Some work on weekends and holidays will be required. Must be
able to perform physical labor, climb and handle moderate weights and
equipment over 50 pounds. A pre-employment physical is required
Last updated: February 25, 2013