- Postdoctoral Program & GFD Fellowships Coordinator
||Postdoctoral Program & GFD Fellowships Coordinator
||Administrative Associate I
Reporting to the
Executive Assistant for Academic Programs and Dean, with minimal
supervision, acts as a primary resource and coordinator of WHOI's
Postdoctoral Program and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics (GFD) Fellowships.
- Prepares and monitors budget and creates and has oversight of individual postdoctoral related accounts, including stipend and research accounts. Continually monitors changes in benefit rates to insure the proper level of funding.
- Supports recruitment: operates an Academic Programs booth at American Geophysical Union meetings; researches advertising trends and new arenas for advertising; evaluates the success of WHOI's advertising for the Postdoctoral Program; and monitors, creates and updates WHOI web pages and printed and electronic advertisements for recruitment enhancement.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and adherence of policies related to the Postdoctoral Program.
- Works with the individual departments, the Dean, and Human Resources to fill postdoctoral scholar, fellow and investigator appointments. Assists the departments and the Dean in insuring proper eligibility, compensation level, and length of postdoctoral appointments.
- Assists the Dean in determining what postdoctoral career development seminars and workshops should be implemented at WHOI, through communications with the Dean, and the postdocs, as well as through the monitoring of trends within the membership of the National Postdoctoral Association. Plans social and networking events. Preparations include scheduling, arranging speakers and panels, caterers, venues, invitations and payment of related expenses. Annual events include the winter breakfast, annual symposium, as well as several career workshops and social gatherings.
- Gathers and compiles statistical information for various surveys, both internal and external; such as NSF, UCAR, WHOI annual report, EEO monitoring, appointment tracking and other information as needed.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date databases for tracking all aspects of the current postdocs, including appointments and financial information.
- Works closely with Human Resources and Payroll Office to ensure proper visas and payment for Postdocs.
- Conducts orientations and check-ins for new Postdoctoral Scholars and Fellows.
- Oversees the Postdoctoral Scholarship and Fellowship application submission and review process.
- Creates appointment and promotion memos for Postdocs being considered for appointment to the scientific and technical staff.
- Attends professional meetings to promote the Postdoctoral Program and to monitor the status of the WHOI program in relation to other programs and the standards of the National Postdoctoral Association.
GFD Program Fellowships
- Assists in budget development and monitoring.
- Supports recruitment: operates an Academic Programs booth at American Geophysical Union meetings; evaluates the effectiveness of previous advertising methods and researches new advertising trends and arenas for advertising; and monitors, creates and updates WHOI web pages and printed and electronic advertisements for recruitment enhancement.
- Conducts orientation and check-in of GFD Fellows.
- Gathers and compiles statistical information for various surveys, both internal and external; such as WHOI annual report, EEO monitoring, appointment tracking, grant reporting and other information as needed.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date databases for tracking all aspects of the current and previous GFD Fellows, including appointments and financial information.
- Works closely with Human Resources and the Payroll Office to ensure proper visas and payments for GFD Fellows.
- Oversees the GFD Fellowship application submissions and review process.
- Provides guidance to other Administrators and Directorate Staff regarding the current and historical operation of the GFD Program.
- Maintains, creates, and posts web pages for the Academic Programs and Housing Offices, and the GFD Program.
- Coordinates the development and maintenance of on-line applications for the Postdoctoral, GFD, Summer Student Fellow, and Minority Fellow Programs.
- Purchases and maintains technical and computer equipment and software for the Academic Programs Office.
Woods Hole Science Technology and Educational Partnership (WHSTEP)
- Serves as a WHOI WHSTEP liaison.
- Monitors and distributes the WHSTEP operating budget and mini-grant funding.
- Acts as contact for mini-grant applications.
- Maintains membership database.
- Designs, updates, and distributes paper and web based program flyers, advertisements and applications for the Postdoctoral Scholarships and Fellowships, Marine Policy Fellowships, GFD Fellowships, and other interdisciplinary research programs.
- Performs other duties as the supervisor may, from time to time, deem necessary.
- Takes an active role in leading group problem solving activities. Encourages the group to think of innovative solutions.
- Leads group in setting goals and monitoring progress.
- Knowledge of how to work with upper levels of management to gain support.
- Assists in making formal presentations both verbal and written to inform and educate.
- Translates technical or procedural information into specifications or action plans.
- Demonstrates a high degree of confidentiality and discretion; works to resolve conflicts between groups.
- Transfer a technical or administrative knowledge to others through formal or informal training.
Influencing and Leading:
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving:
- Typically mentors junior staff in and/or outside of work group.
- Assists with establishing work standards for group.
- Helps others think through their choices. Actively support diversity initiatives and awareness.
Knowledge, Skills and Expertise:
- Effectively employs triage and trouble shooting techniques to resolve complex situations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new approaches to the work of the group.
- Required to be current and proficient in new trends, concepts, technologies, and best practices within one's professional discipline and apply that knowledge to current work.
- Project management skills.
Responsibility and Accountability:
- Actions and decisions may have impact on other groups.
- Without direct supervision, makes decisions regarding work group and may supervise junior staff.
- Seeks out and identifies problems or opportunities and takes immediate action to address them.
Last updated: February 25, 2013