Reporting to the
Executive Vice President, is responsible for the overall health and
quality of the individual departmental research, educational programs
and personnel. Ensures that the programs and goals in these areas are
consistent with the Institution's policies and procedures and overall
mission. Supervises the Department Administrator. Communicates and
coordinates routinely with other Department Chairs and the Directorate.
- Works formally
and informally with the Directorate, other Department Chairs, and
Center Directors to formulate Institution objectives and goals, and
participates in the formulation of Institution policies; serves as
principal conduit of information on such matters between Departmental
personnel and Institution administration.
- Organizes the Department to facilitate defining and implementing goals
and plans for its scientific and technical development, including
determining scientific directions, staffing requirements, facility
needs and acquisition of major instruments and equipment.
- Communicates administrative policy, ideas and decisions to departmental
personnel, and communicates departmental needs, plans and concerns to
the Executive Vice President. Ensures that both groups have an accurate
understanding of the issues, concerns, and constraints of the group.
- Ensures excellence of Department staff through recruitment, performance
evaluation, leadership, mentoring, and management. Recommends
appointments, promotions and salaries for Department personnel.
- Assists Department staff in identifying and developing research areas,
and provides scientific and administrative oversight of the
departmental grant and contract proposal process.
- Serves as voting member on the Institution's Appointments and
Promotions Council (APC). Determines suitability, and oversees
development and presentation of Department cases to APC.
- Responsible for the Department capital, overhead, and discretionary
accounts; allocates assigned Institution resources; supervises the
- Fosters good communication and morale within the Department and Institution.
- Ensures that every junior staff member has good mentoring and receives
the required written evaluations at the end of the first and second
year of appointment as Assistant Scientist and at the end of the second
year of appointment as Associate Scientist.
- Serves as principal Department spokesperson to federal and private groups and individuals.
- Together with the Department's Education Coordinator, oversees the
organization and operation of the Department's participation in the
Education Program. In cooperation with the Dean of Graduate Studies and
the Academic Programs Office, assures high quality teaching and
- Maintains an active scientific or policy research program consistent
with the criteria and expectations for Senior Scientists.
Job Specifications (Knowledge, skills and abilities normally required for competent performance in the job)
Ph.D. in a
discipline related to ocean sciences with significant experience,
accomplishment and impact in research to attain the rank of Senior
Scientist. Proven skills and knowledge in communicating the major
research thrusts of the Chair's discipline and an overall understanding
of the Department's research efforts. Should be familiar with grants
and contracts research and the various agencies supporting such
research. Substantial experience in personnel management Is highly
Term of Appointment
(4) years with up to two (2) years extension in certain circumstances.
Up to seven (7)
months of salary per year during term of appointment. In addition, a
Chair earns two (2) months (304 hours) of salary support for each year
of appointment that can be used on completion of the appointment. These
funds, referred to as “step down,” are provided to assist the Chair
while s/he is reestablishing a research program that will provide full
12-month support for the “retired” Chair. S/he will have up to three
(3) years to spend the earned step-down funds. No extension of this
time period can be granted because funds come form the overhead pool
and time beyond three (3) years is excessive. For more information,
please refer to the Department Chair Policies and Procedures on the Director
of Research web page.
Last updated: February 25, 2013