Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution policies are owned by a responsible office under the authority of a responsible member of the directorate. In the development process, policies receive rigorous review by two groups,the Executive Policy Review Group (EPRG) and the Policy Advisory Group (PAG), which meet as needed.
The Designated Policy Advisor (DPA) provides support at all stages of this process.
For more guidance, please see the policy creation flow chart, the "policy on policies," or contact the Designated Policy Advisor (DPA).
Policy Process Steps
- The Responsible Office (RO) drafts a proposed new policy document consisting of a Policy Statement, Reason for Policy and Impact Statement.
- The new policy document is sent to the Responsible Member of the Directorate (RMD) for edit/review.
- If approved, the document is sent to the Executive Policy Review Group (EPRG) for review.
- If approved, the RO drafts a complete policy document, consulting with identified stakeholders and assisted by an Editorial Group (EG).
- The RO and/or RMD presents the fully drafted policy document to the Policy Advisory Group (PAG).
- The PAG reviews or "reality-tests," the fully drafted policy document and offers recommendations.
- The RO and/or RMD incorporates the recommendations from the PAG, if appropriate, and presents the policy to the EPRG for final approval.
- The final version of the policy is posted on the Institutional Policy Web site and promulgated to the WHOI Community.
Last updated: July 31, 2012