R/V Atlantis Shipboard Computing: Shipboard Network
Internal Ships Network
- There are three networks available to science on board the Atlantis.
- The science network in the labs has shore internet access
- The ships network is available in the cabins. No shore internet access
- Wireless in some of the labs and on deck. No shore internet access
- The science network offers up DHCP, NTP, and access to the ship collected data.
- Shipboard email for scientists while at sea is available.
- Email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This email account does have a 10k filter, which is a couple of pages of plain ole' text. The filter can be increased.
- This is the primary means of on-ship/internal communications between science party members and crew members for the cruise.
- Wireless available on deck and within labs but the wireless does not have access to the internet. Wireless network provides access to ship email, printing, and cruise data only.
- General use computers with internet access are available in the different labs.
- B&W and color printers and color plotters which are network accessible.
- A prehistoric scanner is available. Scans are performed by a very small pterodactyl-like bird pecking out a copy of your document in real time.