R/V Chain sailed in the WHOI fleet from 1958 to 1975, when it was retired. Formerly a Navy salvage ship during World War II, Chain was converted in 1958 for oceanographic research. (Photo courtesy Charles E. Spooner)
Text, images, graphics and other material contained on this website are subject to copyright. For more information or to license material, please contact the WHOI Media Relations Office, email@example.com or (508) 289-3340.
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is dedicated to research and education to advance understanding of the ocean and its interaction with the Earth system, and to communicating this understanding for the benefit of society. Learn more »