Postdoctoral Scholar Program Application
Annual Application Deadline: January 5
Prior to submitting an application, we encourage you to contact one or more of our Scientific Staff Members in your area of research. This, of course, is not a condition of applying, but it does assist us in the award selection. We will make certain that any staff member you mention as a potential sponsor has an opportunity to review your application. Information about the research interests of the WHOI Scientific Staff is available under the Research Areas link to the left.
RequirementsIn addition to the formal application form, the following are required:
- a current CV or resume that shows educational background and work experiences;
- a brief synopsis of the applicant's doctoral dissertation (one page abstract);
- a minimum of three non-WHOI recommendation letters (You must ask your reference writers to submit these letters on-line. We do not contact your references to request letters. You should direct your reference writers to the reference link, found to the left on this page);
- a list, on a separate sheet, of graduate-level or advanced level undergraduate courses completed or in progress (for those applicants whose graduate education included formal course work);
- a concise statement (no longer than three pages double-spaced) describing research interests, in particular those that the applicant would like to pursue at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, as well as more general career plans and how a postdoctoral tenure at WHOI would complement your existing experience and preparation; and
- scanned transcripts of the applicant's complete undergraduate and graduate records (including up to date transcripts from the applicant's current university for those who have not yet completed their Ph.D.). These must be official transcripts; screen grabs or unofficial computer printouts will not be accepted. Official transcripts issued to the student are acceptable. Applicants selected for an award will need to provide original transcripts, or certified copies of the originals, prior to the start of their appointment.
Applications can be completed using the online application submission link, in the related links box to the right. All application materials must be submitted online. Once you have completed the application form, you will be prompted to create a user account, which will allow you to submit the remaining documents and monitor the progress of your application. Application processing is not automatic and references and other materials will not be approved and linked to the application until after the deadline. You may not edit the application once you have submitted it.
The Institution-wide Postdoctoral Scholar Fellowship Application should be used for anyone interested in applying for a general WHOI, WHOI Institute, CMER, NOSAMS or USGS postdoctoral scholar fellowship award. Applicants completing this form will be considered for all of these awards. Applicants with a particular interest in one of these specific categories should indicate their interest in the section of the application reserved for this.
Application StatusOnce you have completed an on-line application you will be prompted to create an account to submit any remaining application materials, or to monitor the status of you application. Please note that you will not be able to edit your application once you have submitted it. You may login to your account using the link to the right.
Further information may also be obtained by writing directly to:The Postdoctoral Fellowship Committee
Academic Programs Office, Clark 223, MS #31
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
266 Woods Hole Road
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1541
Phone: (508) 289-2950
Announcement of awards will be made in early to mid-March.
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Organization.