Right Whale fluke in the Bay of Fundy. (WHOI, NMFS Permit #981-1707, BOF05)
Photo-identification of a Sperm Whale in the Gulf of Mexico. (Thomas Bennett, NMFS Permit #981-1707, GOM02)
Welcome to the Marine Mammal Behavior Laboratory at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
Our research interests include...
- Social behavior and acoustic communication in cetaceans
- Playback to cetaceans of their own and conspecific vocalizations
- Responses of cetaceans to manmade noise
- Vocal learning, and mimicry in the individually distinctive signature signals of bottlenose dolphin and the group distinctive click patterns of sperm whales
- Acoustic structure and social functions of the songs of baleen whales
- Functional studies of echolocation in free-ranging cetaceans
For more information, Contact:
Daniel J Bogorff
Engineer Assistant III
Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering
Office Phone: +1 508 289 3289
Last updated: May 24, 2012