Postdoc Life at WHOI
Postdoc LoungeIn April 2007, we opened the WHOI Postdoctoral Lounge in Caryn House. There is a TV and a couch, a desk with a computer, a kitchen with small appliances, and a table for eating, meeting, or another space to spread out and get some work done. There's also a small grill on the patio. Please use the space, but also please respect other postdocs who want to use the space and clean up after yourself. For more information and a few "rules of the house," click here.
Peer and Professional MentoringThere are many opportunities to find mentorship at WHOI, in addition to your Postdoctoral Sponsor/Advisor.
To get acclimated to life at WHOI, please contact the WHOI-PDA to set up a time to get together for a cup of coffee, take a tour of Woods Hole, or ask questions about getting settled.
There is also an institution-wide Mentoring Program. Mentoring topics can include the following:
- understanding and navigating the promotion/tenure process at WHOI
- enhancing skills and abilities
- enhancing project management skills (financial management, personnel/resource management, time management )
- improving research project development and fundraising skills (proposal preparation, collegial networking, relationship building with program managers.)
- developing better communications skills (writing, verbal, presentations)
- developing or improving job search skills (for positions within and outside WHOI)
- making sound decisions about continuing education.
- Other endless possibilities....