Postdoc Life at WHOI
Postdocs Go DigitalYou can now find out more about life at WHOI and beyond by following us on Facebook and Instagram. Just click on the icons below to see images from events around the Cape, to hear about upcoming events, or to get in touch with fellow postocs! You need to be a current or soon to be WHOI postdoc to access the Facebook group.
Postdoc LoungeIn April 2007, we opened the WHOI Postdoctoral Lounge in Caryn House. There is a TV and a couch, a desk with a computer, a kitchen with small appliances, and a table for eating, meeting, or another space to spread out and get some work done. There's also a small grill on the patio. Please use the space, but also please respect other postdocs who want to use the space and clean up after yourself. For more information and a few "rules of the house," click here.
Peer and Professional MentoringThere are many opportunities to find mentorship at WHOI, in addition to your Postdoctoral Sponsor/Advisor.
To get acclimated to life at WHOI, please contact the WHOI-PDA to set up a time to get together for a cup of coffee, take a tour of Woods Hole, or ask questions about getting settled.
There is also an institution-wide Mentoring Program. Mentoring topics can include the following:
- understanding and navigating the promotion/tenure process at WHOI
- enhancing skills and abilities
- enhancing project management skills (financial management, personnel/resource management, time management )
- improving research project development and fundraising skills (proposal preparation, collegial networking, relationship building with program managers.)
- developing better communications skills (writing, verbal, presentations)
- developing or improving job search skills (for positions within and outside WHOI)
- making sound decisions about continuing education.
- Other endless possibilities....