Dive and Discover: www.divediscover.whoi.edu
Source: Woods Hole Currents
Dive and Discover: Expeditions
Internet explorers can join Dive and Discover expeditions through daily updates while scientists are at sea, or they can follow their progress in “virtual time” by clicking through the archived postings from each voyage at: www.divediscover.whoi.edu. The first six cruises examine the mid-ocean ridge and deep-sea hydrothermal vent sites at various points along the ridge.
- Voyage 1 (Jan. 2000)— Aboard R/V Atlantis to the Guaymas Basin in the Gulf of California.
- Voyage 2 (Jan.–Feb. 2000)—Aboard Atlantis 500 miles south of Manzanillo, Mexico, to the crest of the East Pacific Rise.
- Voyage 3 ( March–May 2000)—Aboard R/V Melville (Scripps Institution of Oceanography–SIO) for further exploration of the East Pacific Rise and the Galápagos Rift.
- Voyage 4 (March–May 2001)—Aboard R/V Knorr to the central Indian Ocean.
- Expedition 5 (Aug.–Sept. 2001)—Aboard R/V Roger Revelle (SIO) to the undersea volcanic slopes of the Galápagos Islands.
- Voyage 6 (May 2002)—Aboard R/V Atlantis for a new look at the Galápagos Rift, site of the hydrothermal vent discovery 25 years ago.
Originally published: March 1, 2002