Map shows the 13 permanent weather stations established in 1946 by the United Nations Civil Aviation Organization. Program costs were shared by nations operating trans-oceanic aircraft. Letters missing from the alphabetical sequence were those used for stations occupied during World War II but not included in the postwar weather station program.
U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Sebago was photographed on Station A in January 1949.
Weather balloons were released from weather ships every six hours to gather data from elevations as high as 50,000 feet.