Annual Application Deadline: February 15
We appreciate your interest in the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution's Summer Student Fellowship program. The application period for Summer 2015 will open in mid-November 2014.
Fellowship awards will be announced no later than March 15 each year.
Summer Student Fellowships are awarded to undergraduate students who are completing their junior year at colleges or universities and are studying in any of the fields of science or engineering including but not limited to the fields of biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, geophysics, mathematics, meteorology, physics, oceanography, and marine policy. Students must have at least a tentative interest in the ocean sciences, oceanographic engineering, mathematics, or marine policy. Persons from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. WHOI actively recruits underrepresented minorities in ocean science as defined by the National Science Foundation (African-, Hispanic- and Native-Americans, and Pacific Islanders) in all of our education programs, as well as programs of the Woods Hole Diversity Initiative, such as the Woods Hole Partnership Education Program. More information can be obtained by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the formal application form, the following are required:
- a current CV or resume that shows educational background and work experience;
- A current unofficial transcript (preferably a PDF document) must be uploaded to complete your application. Please note: an Official Transcript will be required from any applicant who receives a Summer Student Fellowship. The Fellowship offer will be contingent upon receipt of an original, official transcript from the applicant's university or college;
- at least three letters of recommendation from professors or others familiar with the applicant's academic credentials (recommendation forms are available through the link in the 'Related Links' box to the right);
- a statement of the applicant's research interests, future education and career plans, and reasons for applying to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution; and
- a completed Course Record worksheet listing relevant undergraduate coursework by subject category, primary textbook used for each course, and the grade received for completing the course.
You may access an application and reference forms by using the links on the right. Once you have submitted an on-line application, use the 'Application Status Login' link to submit any remaining application materials, or to monitor the status of your application.
Please Note: Applicants must direct their reference writers to the References page on this website. References listed on a student's application will not be automatically contacted by the application server.
» View the References page
Phone: (508) 289-2219
Completed applications must be submitted by February 15. Applicants will be notified of decisions in mid March.
All students who are offered a position at this REU Site have until March 15th or later to accept or reject the offer. Any student who is asked to accept or reject an offer prior to March 15th should contact the Division of Ocean Science's REU Program Director, Lisa Rom at elrom@NSF.govor 703-292-7709.
Funding for this REU site is provided by the National Science Foundation's Division of Ocean Sciences located in Arlington, VA. The NSF contact for this program is Lisa Rom, elrom@NSF.gov or 703-292-7709. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Organization.