R/V Neil Armstrong: Specifications
|Displacement||3,204 long tons (LT)|
|Length||Overall (LOA): 238 ft.
Waterline (LWL): 230 ft.
|Speed||12 kts. (sustained)|
||3952 kW (total)|
|Towing||10,000 lbs. at 6 kts.
25,000 lbs. at 4 kts.
|Working deck area
||Aft of deckhouse: 1,873 sq. ft.
Total stern: 2,557 sq. ft.
Starboard side: 80 sq. ft.
|Laboratory area||Main lab: 1,023 sq. ft.
Wet lab: 398 sq. ft.
Computer lab: 311 sq. ft.
Staging bay: 303 sq. ft.
- Controllable pitch propellers
- Directional bow thruster, tunnel stern thruster
- Dynamic positioning (+/- 5 meters in sea state 5)
- Able to work near first-year ice (ice class D0)
- Deep-water multibeam, mid-water multibeam, subbottom profiler, single-beam survey system, ADCP, acoustic navigation and tracking
- Hull form diverts bubbles from sonar area
- Main crane (11 ton); A-frame (15 ton); starboard crane (5.5 ton, motion-compensated)
- Cranes, CTD handling, and starboard side handling systems reach to waterline